Senior Java Engineer: Data License
New York, NY
Posted Oct 19, 2017 - Requisition No. 62839
We love data, do you?
Financial institutions thrive on data and the Bloomberg Enterprise Content business satisfies their needs. Enterprise Content is a fast growing business that provides clients with rich programmatic access to the best financial data and services in the industry such as Reference, Pricing, Corporate Actions and Regulatory content sets.
Our team of 8 is responsible for storing detailed usage metrics on every piece of data taken down by our clients. We just don't stop there - our team develops applications and services to analyze the data and apply various pricing models to be able to bill our clients. Our pricing models involve optimizing usage patterns across multiple access points that our clients use to access financial data and require us to churn through 2 years of data (trillions of data points) in 2 hours.
Let's talk technology. To build a scalable ingestion pipeline for our usage metric data, we have picked Apache Kafka, one of the fastest distributed streaming platforms. Now we need to store that data - we use Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and, for some use cases, HBase. The data isn’t very useful unless we can analyze it - that’s where Apache Spark & MapReduce come in. We use other tools in the Hortonworks Hadoop distribution like Oozie for scheduling our billing jobs, and are investing in Jupyter Notebooks to give tech-savvy users more flexible and sophisticated ways to analyze our data.
As a part of building new products, our business users have to design new pricing models to offer products to our clients. Time to market is absolutely one of our key metrics. Our goal is to empower users to be able to configure various attributes that make up the pricing models and reduce the time it takes on the engineering side to build them.
These are big goals and we’re just getting started. We’re looking for bright, knowledgeable, driven people to help us make key technical decisions on the architecture, processes, best practices, and direction of this initiative. You will be responsible for the research, development, and stability of this critical platform and its impact on one of the highest revenue businesses within Bloomberg.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design and develop highly scalable, fault tolerant solutions
- Lead from the front in building a configurable, operational independent system while understanding the challenges surrounding the current implementations.
- Work effectively in a small, adaptable, agile team focused on business value and operational independence
- Incorporate and adapt multiple technologies to help reach our goals of enterprise-wide usage and support for data-in-motion
- Understand and enforce the right balance between innovation, experimentation, and delivering completed features to production in a timely manner
- Understand the core business and apply the technologies to other use cases that drive the client facing business
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience programming enterprise solutions in Java.
- Excellent understanding of algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design and multi-threading
- Stellar problem solving & communication skills and the ability to thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Experience with low-latency, high-volume, and high-availability distributed systems
We’d love to see:
- Deep knowledge of Hadoop MapReduce, HBase, and other Hadoop ecosystem technologies
- Experience working in an agile and test-driven development environment
- Enthusiasm to adapt to new technologies in the ever changing landscape of BigData technology space