Senior Java Software Engineer - Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) Team
New York, NY
Posted Aug 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 80994
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and our product. From the biggest banks to the most elite hedge funds, financial institutions need timely, accurate data to capture opportunities and evaluate risk in fast-moving markets. Enabling clients to access Bloomberg’s data and perform custom analytics, the Bloomberg Query Language(BQL) and Analytics platform is at the forefront of innovation for our business.
Our team is responsible for developing a low latency Analytics Platform and Screening Engine. We're also working to define and build a domain specific query language, BQL. This will allow users to express complex analytics and quantitative models for execution on the platform.
A core team of 40+ engineers is passionately working on multiple initiatives:
- Scaling the Big Data Analytics Platform and Screening through a hybrid of in-memory and distributed computing paradigms.
- Providing Unified and consistent access to Bloomberg’s rich data through a common API and expression language.
- Developing a Metadata frame-work and engine to leverage the unified meta-model.
- Building a workload management framework for smart routing of client requests to meet specific SLA requirements
We are looking for Software Engineers with strong Java skills to build out the core Analytics and Screening platform that's critical to our success. That's where you come in.
We'll trust you to:
- Collaboratively design and develop Java components consistent with standard and project specific design principles, leveraging standard frameworks and technologies
- Influence architectural decisions and build a performant execution engine which will bring this platform into the future
- Be part of a highly motivated team of software engineers with a strong team culture.
- Think about bigger picture, take calculated risks and come up with innovative ideas
You'll need to have:
- Advanced Java coding skills (5+ years) with focus on Low Latency computing
- 5+ years experience with Design Patterns, Concurrent Programming
- 5+ years experience with IOC frameworks like Spring.
- Experience with Tuning high performance applications.
- Experience with Persistence Frameworks, AVRO/JSON and RESTful Services
- Experience with distributed computing
- Enterprise system engineering experience (Ability to build scalable systems for large computes on big data)
- Experience working in fast paced Continuous Delivery projects
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience with Scala, Apache Spark and Apache Arrow
- Experience working in a Test Driven Development and Agile environment
If this sounds like you, apply! We'll be in touch if we think you're a match
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.