Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Data Automation
New York, NY
Posted Nov 3, 2023 - Requisition No. 121379
What we do:
On the Data Automation team, we develop ML/NLP models to extract key information from all kinds of financial documents such as analyst recommendations, corporate/municipal bond offerings, earnings releases. Our team has built some of the world's most sophisticated neural networks that have beaten the performance of even the best analysts in the market – often demanding 99.9% precision. The models we build enable our clients to get accurate answers fast. The work we do is crucial , as a single prediction error can have a market moving effect.
What is in it for you:
As part of our team, you will research groundbreaking ML & NLP techniques and experiment with the latest large language models including Bloomberg’s very own bbGPT. You will apply those techniques to design the most efficient and practical solutions to real-life business problems. If the idea of applying technology and information retrieval techniques to solve meaningful data problems excites you, keep reading.
- Expand our suite of pre-trained language models to incorporate multilingual and multimodal models
- Apply active learning and distant supervision to reduce human annotation efforts to minimal
- Employ weakly supervised learning approaches for understanding structural associations embedded in various document layouts
- Apply advanced NLP techniques for multi-entity disambiguation and reinforcement learning to replace heuristic-based decision tree
- Create semantic representations for financial concepts across various industries
You will also collaborate with financial domain specialists to gain valuable insights and use their business expertise to increase accuracy in annotating training data. A right combination of cross-field ML techniques, deep understanding of the business problem and high quality training data is fundamental to our models beating the precision of most academic and industry standards and presents an excellent opportunity! If this sounds like a challenge you are up for, please apply below.
We'll trust you to:
- Learn innovative research in advanced ML & NLP topics and devise an efficient application for projects
- Direct ML strategy for the team and work closely with the ML platform team, ETL infrastructure team as well as guide truth-gathering efforts
- Drive, design & develop projects as the principal point-of-contact, with the ability to determine suitable ML models, direct feature engineering processes and negotiate critical metrics per business needs
- Participate in technical conferences, publish papers and evaluate new technologies
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of experience with an object-oriented programming language such as Java or Python
- Familiarity with common NLP/Deep Learning frameworks such as scikit-learn, pytorch, tensorflow
- Subject matter expertise in one or more of the following: Natural language -Processing (NLP), Deep Learning, Statistical Models and Text Analytics on large data sets
- Professional experience of building and deploying ML apps to production
- Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
Strong communication skills and interest in learning financial product domains
We’d love to see:
- Knowledge of advanced concepts such as weakly supervised learning, reinforcement learning and active learning
- Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL data modeling and exploratory data visualization
- Authored research publications, participation in ML competitions, working demos/repos
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us
that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 165,000 - 260,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus