Senior Network Automation Engineer
New York, NY
Posted May 8, 2019 - Requisition No. 75030
Our Global Information Systems Group (Infosys) is responsible for designing, deploying, and supporting Bloomberg’s the internal IT systems, including our global corporate network, and the hardware and software to support nearly 19,000 employees in more than 170 offices around the world. We are also responsible for the audio-visual technology in all of Bloomberg’s public spaces (including training and conference rooms), that host more than 500,000 visitors to Bloomberg offices each year.
Our employees rely on the technology solutions and support Infosys provides to do their jobs in a fast-paced, highly-demanding, technology-focused environment. We are a close-knit, hardworking team organized into 6 groups: Service Desk, Desktop Technicians, Infrastructure, Audio-Visual, Corporate Security, and Mobile Technology. Each of these groups develop, deploy and rely upon a complex set of proprietary and third-party systems to deliver the services we provide; and those systems are the key to understanding where we are doing our jobs well, and where we need to improve.
For example, our 19,000 employees generate more than 320,000 service requests each year through a ticketing system that drives both human and automated services—from software download to a Desktop dispatch. We handle approximately 1200+ software titles, as well as, monitor and implement security for the entire corporate network that consists of 28,000 PCs, 50,000 screen displays and 120,000 network connections.
What’s the role?
The Infosys Network Engineering team handles the design and engineering of Bloomberg Enterprise Network globally including our campus network and data centers. Our mission is to deliver the best network connectivity experience to our colleagues and help them serve our customers better. As part of a tight-knit team, you will collaborate with other teams, both internal and external, to come up with innovative design and solutions in the enterprise network landscape including wired and wireless infrastructure.
What's in it for you:
You'll have the opportunity to work on a wide array of networking and security technologies across different regions. You will work closely with Technology Infrastructure, Information Security and Wide Area Network Engineering teams. You will lead our efforts in strategic Network Automation, provisioning and work closely with virtualization team. In this role you will be spending about 80% of your time on automation and scripting using Python, Ansible, PERL etc. We are also in the process of providing detailed network visibility and troubleshooting tools to our operations teams and will look to you to work closely in this area.
We'll trust you to:
- Help us automate and scale Bloomberg’s Enterprise network infrastructure. We are moving towards fully automated provisioning and management of our network and are heavily investing in latest technologies and solutions to support this initiative.
- Work on enhancing existing automation platform and also help scale this to fit our global multi-vendor enterprise network
- Come up with innovative ideas and solutions to bring the Bloomberg Infrastructure team in our journey towards infrastructure as code
- Work with Network Engineering team, understand the environment and products and come up with the right solution for various automation tasks
- Identify the existing automation eco system and make recommendations in software and tools to improve efficiency and ease of use
- Participate in design discussions and Proof of Concept labs to explore ways to automate from early stage
- Collaborate with external teams to adapt and enhance tools and automation systems already used in other parts of Bloomberg
- Help improve current Network Management and visibility tools in place
- Provide support for large scale global projects by automating whole or part of the tasks
You need to have:
- Excellent understanding of Networking Fundamentals, Campus and Data Center networks
- Experience in working with technologies and protocols including BGP, OSPF, IP Multicast, STP, VPC, MLAG, VRFs etc. (EVPN or Vxlan experience optional/desirable)
- Experience in configuration of Cisco and Arista Networking equipment
- Good understanding of change management principles
- 3+ years experience in automating Network provisioning and configuration tasks utilizing Python, Ansible, NAPALM etc.
- Experience in large scale network deployments and automating all or parts of the same
- Good understanding of security concepts, hardening of network infrastructure is a big plus
- Experience with in band telemetry / streaming telemetry is a big plus
- Experience with Arista CVP, Cisco DNA etc a plus
- Strong desire to code, produce clean readable code, good understanding of software development best practices, open source systems and git repositories required
- Manage relationships with network infrastructure vendors, identify and request features and enhancements that are best suited for the Bloomberg network environment
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.