Senior Network Services Architect - CTO Office
New York, NY
Posted Dec 19, 2023 - Requisition No. 122282
The CTO Network Architecture team is responsible for developing and evolving the architecture of a robust, scalable, visible and programmable network that serves multiple lines of business, comprising the vast offerings of data and analytics on the Bloomberg platform and reaching customers worldwide. The Bloomberg network encompasses private and hybrid clouds, metro, wide area and customer premises. The team conducts and leads research and development in networking technologies, including protocols, softwarization of network functions, orchestration, automation, and analytics, leveraging and contributing to open source as applicable. As part of the CTO Network Architecture team, you will partner with engineering teams, business units, and policy leaders to develop, design and deploy solutions that address business needs. We are leading and influencing the design of automated, secure and fully visible robust networks supporting complex software infrastructure and business systems at Bloomberg.
What’s in it for you?
Your focus will be on networks, including network security services. You will be responsible for defining network architecture and solutions and associated management, control and automation, exploring new technologies (e.g., protocols, systems, routing platforms), developing proof of concepts, and partnering with our application teams and with our engineering teams to select and implement solutions for production. You have the opportunity to influence the evolution of the Bloomberg network and network services that provide for the most ubiquitous and influential focused products in the financial market. The scope of your role will cover data center and private cloud, WAN, and public cloud.
We’ll trust you to:
- Research and develop network architectures and associated management, control, and automation, including technology evaluation and proof of concepts, that apply to the following areas:
- L3/L4-L7 Load balancing services and proxies- physical and software functions, in a DC frontend perimeter environment, openstack, and Kubernetes environments.
- Global service load balancing
- Network-based security - Firewalls, proxies and IDS/IDP.
- Create managed network service offerings in the described areas (e.g., Load balancer as a service)
- Develop and implement strategy and roadmap
- Collaborate with engineering teams, application and product teams to productize technologies and solutions that address business needs
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering at minimum, with preference for a graduate degree
- 7+ years of experience in Large-scale tier1-carrier, Large enterprise, cloud provider, hyperscaler, and/or content provider working on perimeter network-based security facing the public Internet, East-west network-based security, global load balancing, frontend and backend load balancing at scale, proxies, and DNS in Kubernetes and Openstack environments. Technologies that you need to have working knowledge with:
- Physical and virtual (softwarized) L3/L4- L7 Load Balancers and proxies (e.g., F5, HAproxy, Nginx, envoy)
- Linux-based load balancing solutions as standalone and/or part of Kubernetes networking solutions
- Global service load balancing
- DDOS detection and mitigation
- L3/L4-L7 Firewalls
- DNS, DNSSEC, and service discovery
- Network function virtualization/softwarization
- Openstack and Kubernetes with focus on networking and network security solutions
- BGP Routing: and familiarity with L3 BGP/MPLS VPNs
- Solid understanding and working experience with modern large scale and resilient software architectures that apply to network functions within the scope of this role
- Data modeling for infrastructure and services
- Control and management interfaces (e.g., gNMI, REST)
- Strong communication skills and collaborative attitude
We'd love to see:
- Product management/leadership experience
- Public cloud network and network security knowledge and/or working experience
- Experience with IP address management framework and tools, Terraform, and ansible
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 240,000 - 330,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus