Senior NoSQL Platform Engineer
New York, NY
Posted Sep 18, 2018 - Requisition No. 66988
Bloomberg's applications teams face complex challenges - large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests, and high availability over a distributed environment to name a few. And it's our goal to create standardized solutions to these challenges by building core services and technology frameworks for all teams.
We are building these platforms using NoSQL technologies such as HBase and Cassandra. Our NoSQL platform team offers Cassandra as a hosted service for high-impact applications such as ultra low-latency market data caches and globally-replicated trade life-cycle event stores. We are fostering adoption of Cassandra by improving engineers' experience using it within Bloomberg. Our team has visibility across the organization as we're providing sustainable solutions for scaling and high availability across the firm. Beyond HBase and Cassandra, we're looking to provide additional non-relational distributed datastores and are broadly looking for developers with interest and expertise in distributed databases and data management.
Right now, our team is working on Cassandra cluster provisioning, workflows for keyspace and schema management, implementing client libraries for custom load balancing and retry policies and investigating containerization & cloud deployment solutions. We also provide solutions engineering for application
teams, helping them with data modeling and architecture. If you are a software engineer who is passionate about distributed systems, has seen their behavior in production, have expertise in developing backend software infrastructure, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Help application teams looking to use NoSQL databases with workload characterization, performance tuning and failure analysis
- Develop innovative tooling ranging from cluster auto-tuning to proxy services that do workload management for multi-tenant deployments
- Identify and curate distributed datastore technologies and advocate for them with senior stakeholders and application groups
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features and bug fixes
You'll need to have:
- Experience designing and implementing low-latency, high-scalability systems
- 3+ years’ experience programming in 2 major languages (Java/C++ and Python) and willing to pick up more as needed
- Solid production experience with NoSQL databases or other distributed storage technologies, preferably in a platform/infrastructure software engineering role
- Understanding and enthusiasm to learn the internals of Cassandra and other NoSQL databases - your work will require troubleshooting the internals and possibly modifying it
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Upstream, accepted open source contributions to HBase, Cassandra or other NoSQL technologies.
If this sounds like you, submit an application and check out Bloomberg's Github: https://github.com/bloomberg. You can also check out some of our recent contributions to HBase (https://www.slideshare.net/HBaseCon/cursors-in-apache-phoenix) and Spark (https://www.techatbloomberg.com/events/spark-summit-east-2017/).