Senior Python Engineer - Enterprise Controls (Contract)
New York, NY
Posted Sep 13, 2021 - Requisition No. 92626
Every day, trillions of dollars pass through the Bloomberg Terminal. As a result, hundreds of thousands of financial professionals rely on our 500+ enterprise applications to manage their portfolios, execute their trades and analyze the markets.
As engineers, we're the ones who build the applications our clients rely on to not just stay informed, but stay ahead of the market. We connect supply and demand across all asset classes on worldwide exchanges. The applications and infrastructure we build embody the speed, agility and financial data that makes Bloomberg the go-to for financial professionals across the globe.
Bloomberg Enterprise Content data products drive the financial industry. Enterprise Content is used worldwide by thousands of our clients, and is a rapidly growing business that provides rich programmatic access to the best financial data and services in the industry. Our products span a wide variety of asset classes and data products including Pricing, Corporate Actions, Regulatory and Reference data content sets (https://www.bloomberg.com/professional/product/reference-data/). We build high-performance systems that feed billions of data points per day to our customers that include key financial players.
We interact very closely with our business and sales teams using agile and iterative development. We have many opportunities to design and develop innovative solutions to accomplish ever-growing customer requirements. We are continuing to grow rapidly, and have opportunities on the following team:
Enterprise Controls for Content Delivery
Controlling that the above data is provided only to authorized clients and according to their individual subscriptions is a big challenge. Our clients make hundreds of thousands of requests for data daily. Each of these requests has to be processed by the controls systems to make sure they are both valid and then data provided according to the subscriptions that they are entitled to.
Over the years a lot of the system doing this has evolved organically and is now burdened with legacy software. Hence, there is a dedicated initiative to move all software that is supporting controls to the latest software stack.
You’ll have the opportunity to:
- Develop and maintain the systems that enable controls. This will include building new systems using the latest technologies as well as migrating existing legacy systems to our latest technology stack.
- Be involved in coordinating, planning, rolling out and testing regular planned updates to production system.
- Learn the challenges in design and maintenance of high availability high volume enterprise systems
You'll need to have 3+ years of experience with the following:
- Python development, including writing idiomatic code, large scale project organization and unit testing
- Completing projects that required significant problem solving, interpersonal skills and the ability to liaise with other Bloomberg teams.
- Use of development tools such as debuggers, memory profilers, and performance measurement
We'd love to see:
- Experience with compiled languages such as C, C++ or Java
- Relational database experience (SQL and table design)
- Experience developing software in a UNIX environment
We are very proud of our diverse and open culture, and value diversity of thought and perspective in every form. We're looking for engineers with a real passion for writing reusable, efficient solutions to complex problems, who can adapt to an ever-changing market landscape, and who can collaborate and work effectively on small teams to develop software that impacts thousands of power users around the world. If this sounds like you, please apply!