Senior Software Engineer – Compliance Search and Indexing
New York, NY
Posted Aug 29, 2022 - Requisition No. 95791
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
That’s where Bloomberg Compliance comes in. Bloomberg Compliance provides a single platform for storage, reconstruction and extraction of our customer’s communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data. More than 1,000 organizations use our product to manage and archive their enterprise communications as they face an ever-evolving regulatory landscape.
Bloomberg’s Compliance Search Engine lies at the heart of our infrastructure and powers complex analytical workflows across a suite of financial applications. The search team is responsible for the complete and accurate capture of customer data, ranging from trade lifecycles to email, voice, and social media data as well as Bloomberg proprietary message and chat platforms.
As part of this mission, the search team maintains and operates a sophisticated multi-tenant private SOLR cloud, hosting 2 Petabytes of data, capturing an average of 50 million communications and 700GB of indexed data a day, while serving thousands of eDiscovery requests a week.
We are currently hiring search experts as we continue to invest in scaling our platform, modernizing our infrastructure and bringing novel search workflows to market. Our present initiatives center around federation, enrichments, and utilizing quantitative methodologies within our existing workflows.
As part of our team, you will be trusted to:
- Develop and maintain new architecture to support search and indexing workflows
- Optimize existing pipelines to improve throughout, stability and parallelism
- Drive and balance the incorporation of new technologies while improving development practices
- Mentor others by encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience in Distributed Systems related Software Development
- Experience with Search and Search Technology (SOLR, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Experience with building robust, scalable and maintainable high performance indexing pipelines
- Strong knowledge and experience with Java or C++, some experience in Python
- Experience with open source frameworks (Kafka, Spark, Cassandra, etc.)
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Willingness and excitement to learn new things and work across a diverse set of languages and tools
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We’d love to see:
- Experience building APIs and working with Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience with HTTP and computer networking protocols
- Experience or interest in machine learning and quantitative methods for search
- Track record of improving developer experience pushing Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- Experience with indexing techniques to optimize for higher search engine performance
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus