Senior Software Engineer - BAS Infrastructure Reliability
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 102677
Bloomberg Application Services (BAS) is the core microservice framework powering the backend of virtually all Bloomberg products and services, responsible for reliably handling billions of dollars of transactions daily! The BAS network services over 5 million requests per second across thousands of applications and tens of thousands of machines on our global network. We provide a stable, fault-tolerant, scalable architecture with flexible routing rules and support for enterprise security and monitoring capabilities used for developing services by over 6,000 Bloomberg software engineers.
BAS is a global group of software professionals composed of several teams based primarily out of NYC and London, each handling responsibility for different aspects of BAS software development. BAS Infrastructure is uniquely positioned at the intersection of traditional software engineering, DevX, and SRE subject areas.
We use a combination of open-source and proprietary technologies to provide internal support to the BAS organization as well as the global Bloomberg developer community for building and deploying reliable software quickly and safely, with a wide domain of expertise and support.
We'll trust you to:
- Manage and automate our Jenkins instances and multi-solution build farms, from capacity planning, to system administration tasks, to writing chef/salt recipes
- Support many production computer languages and deployment environments (C++, python, docker, ruby, chef, github, Jenkins/groovy, cmake, Typescript, powershell, among many others)
- Create a new monitoring infrastructure framework for BAS software, writing code, analyzing metrics, creating new alert rules and monitoring dashboards, transitioning from legacy measurements
- Enhance our Continuous Development and health-check frameworks, adding support for more solutions, and using analytics to improve reliability of automated deployments
- Improve and manage our CI framework and software build architecture, focusing on improving build stability and our integrated test environment across multiple areas
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years of programming experience with an object-oriented programming language (C++ and/or Python)
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, multi-threading, and algorithms
- The skills for analytical problem solving
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of working with large, sophisticated systems under continuous use
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems such as Jenkins
- Experience with build and test frameworks, such as cmake, ninja, GTest
- Experience working with Linux/UNIX and/or Windows system administration and programming
- Experience with system management and container technologies, such as Docker, Kubernetes, chef, salt
- Interest in engineering subject areas such as migrations, planning, post-mortem analysis, and system design
- Ability to critically assess and plan software changes and roll-outs
- Exposure to multiple phases of the software development life-cycle
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus