Senior Software Engineer - Blaw Platform Engineering
New York, NY
Posted Jun 15, 2022 - Requisition No. 104487
Bloomberg Law is changing the legal technology sector by delivering the most sophisticated research platform on the market with a focus on automation, analytics and real-time answers. Our goal is to become indispensable in the everyday activities of our users and provide solutions that help them get real-time answers accurately and fast. The BLAW platform consists of a large Ruby on Rails web application powered by dozens of Java services and complex data ingestion/enrichment pipelines on the back-end.
We, the Platform Enablement team at BLAW, are focused on enhancing the platform to bring efficiency to the Product pipelines as well as Business operations, by partnering with various engineering teams to containerize and scale their applications and infrastructure on the AWS cloud. We help teams break away from complicated, tightly-coupled, monolithic architectures to simplified, isolated, API-driven distributed systems, and help devise tools and strategies to migrate code, data and workflows to our in-house built Kubernetes platform.
What's in it for you?
As a Platform Engineer at BLAW, you will be involved in solving various architectural problems on large and complicated enterprise codebase with strict focus on performance and quality. You will get exposed to various parts of the tech stack and different technologies, including the front-end, microservices, databases and event-driven pipelines. You will also have opportunities to think out of the box, experiment with open-source technologies and devise solutions and workflows required for large scale cloud migrations. Above all, you will enjoy amazing camaraderie and mentorship from some of the best technologists in the industry.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop deep understanding of architecture and components of the BLAW systems
- Devise and implement tools and solutions for re-architecting these systems and re-platforming them from Bloomberg on-Prem Data Center servers to a hybrid cloud environment
- Be comfortable working on different parts of the stack, and with different languages and technologies
- Collaborate effectively with various other engineering teams and stakeholders
- Deliver changes to complicated systems with high quality and performance
You need to have:
- 5+ years of experience programming in Java
- Experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems on AWS, and exposure to Kubernetes and Docker is preferred
- Motivation to learn new technologies and solving large scale architecture challenges
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.