Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg E-Learning Platform
New York, NY
Posted Sep 15, 2022 - Requisition No. 103440
Bloomberg for Education helps universities incorporate the Bloomberg Terminal into their academic programs to better prepare students for the global job market. Universities around the globe use Bloomberg to bring the real world of finance into the classroom, providing students with access to the same information platform used by leading decision makers in business, finance and government.
The portal for Bloomberg for Education is an external-facing web-based portal hosting self-paced e-learning courses that provides an interactive introduction to the financial markets. Users can self-sign up, pay for the course with our payment providers, and pace themselves through Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM)-based video content that is managed and curated by a Learning Management System (LMS). With completion of the course, users will be issued a certificate to proudly display on LinkedIn and resumes. With syllabus-integration, students will learn how to use important analytical functions in the Terminal, conduct economic research and analysis, benefit from a wide-range of pre-built analytical models and more.
The portal leverages modern web technologies and is built to support 120k+ learners 24x7 across the globe. Technologies like AWS and leveraging CDNs help provide fast and seamless services to our clients spread out in various geographic regions.
Being a key contributor throughout the entire SDLC, you will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with product owners, business counterparts, and clients to understand their needs and craft our product vision accordingly. You will be required to think creatively and to bring cutting-edge technologies in house. With your help, the goal here is to make Bloomberg For Education become the primary e-learning platform to manage certifications and training for all of Bloomberg products.
This position requires at least one of the following:
- a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or
- an equivalent combination of education, and/or
- specialized training, and/or
- related professional experience.
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate directly with business product owners
- Design, develop, demo and release high-quality maintainable code
- Take ownership of products and its technical solutions
- Bring in best-in-class open-source technologies
You’ll need to have:
- Professional experience developing at all levels of the application stack (frontend/UI, middle/Services and backend/Database)
- 3+ years of experience working with database technologies with thorough understanding of SQL
- 3+ years of experience with building APIs with Ruby on Rails or Node.js
- Higher education (B/MS, PhD) in Computer Science or closely related technical field
We’d love to see:
- Experience with different internet browsers, their versions and idiosyncrasies
- Knowledge of web application security and threat mitigation techniques
- Knowledge of continuous integration, testing, and deployment tools (Jenkins, Webdriver.io, Jest)
- Knowledge of load balancing software (HAProxy, Nginx)
- Knowledge of containerization and orchestration tools (OpenStack, Docker, Kubernetes)
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com