Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) Team
New York, NY
Posted May 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 104036
To capture opportunities and evaluate risk in fast-moving markets, financial institutions of all sizes require performant access to the wealth of financial data and analytics available across Bloomberg's ecosystem. The Bloomberg Query Language (BQL) is the nexus of this data access and distributed analytics. Through an intuitive workflow construction and querying language, BQL enhances our client's experience by unifying access to Bloomberg's external APIs and internal services. It’s a one-stop-shop used directly by clients via a powerful Excel Plugin, it is the powerhouse behind Bloomberg’s new BQuant product and is used internally by domain application teams to build “Terminal Functions”.
Check out what we do behind the scenes on Tech at Bloomberg BQuant Behind the Scenes: How Bloomberg Leveled the Playing Field for Quantitative Analysis in Finance
A core team of 70+ engineers is passionately working on multiple initiatives:
- Providing unified and consistent access and analytics on top of Bloomberg’s rich data through a common API and expression language.
- Scaling the BQL infrastructure to handle more users, and more challenging use cases and datasets.
- Developing infrastructure, and workflows for domain application teams around the company to accelerate onboarding processes for new datasets in BQL.
We are looking for engineers, problem solvers, and agents of change to build the next generation of the BQL Platform with us. That's where you come in.
We'll need you to:
- Adapt - to large, complex, and interconnected systems
- Collaborate - on problem solving, design, implementation
- Innovate - with all of your solutions
- Evolve - yourself, the code, systems, teams, and tools
- Think - about the bigger picture
- Integrate - your solutions with the BQL ecosystem
- Own - your solutions from inception, and through release
Experience that will help you hit the ground running:
- A deeper understanding of the programming languages and frameworks you use work internally, how they scale, or don’t scale to different problems
- Scaling systems that use medium and large datasets (indexing, joining, aggregating, parallel processing, orchestration, compression, sharding)
- Test-driven design and development
- Distributed computing, stateless design, microservices, and service oriented architecture
- Solving concurrency problems (either or both multi-processing/threading)
- Building, and improving Continuous Integration and Delivery systems
BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
Have experience in some of these areas but not all? The Bloomberg Engineering culture is growth oriented, and has loads of opportunities for you to fill in these gaps along the way in your career. Through our very active and vast guild community covering most languages, technologies, problem spaces, you can build a strong network to leverage, and expertise to bring innovation into your team.
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.