Senior Software Engineer - Bloomberg Vault
New York, NY
Posted Nov 13, 2017 - Requisition No. 63269
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something he/she shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
In Bloomberg Vault, you’ll help us build large scale data access, processing and reporting systems that package and deliver complex events streams spanning over communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data to both internal and external clients. More than 1,000 organizations use Bloomberg Vault to manage and archive their enterprise communications and collaboration data, including email, instant message (IM), mobile, files, trade and documents, voice data and social media. Our multi-tenant cloud processes 300 million messages daily and stores about 90 billion archived objects, and we are looking to grow significantly in the next two years.
That’s where you come in. You will be a senior member of our team who is up for the challenge of building secure, scalable and high quality services and pipelines using a combination of proprietary and open source technologies.
We will trust you to:
- Work effectively with Product Owners and be able to influence the product/technical vision
- Lead design discussion on data model, architectural framework, and business logic
- Take ownership of project management, technical solutions, development and delivery to production
- Write unit/integration tests, perform code reviews, and contribute to our SDLC process improvements
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with Java or Scala and the ability to pick up other languages quickly
- 3+ years of experience in developing distributed and microservice systems
- Experience in Relational and NoSQL Databases such as HBase, Cassandra, Accumulo or similar
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem solving and multi-tasking skills
- Motivated self-starter with project management experience
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field ?
We’d love to see:
- 1+ years of experience in project management and architectural design
- Proficiency in Shell and/or Python scripting languages
- Understanding of data modeling and formats (Protobuf/AVRO/XML/JSON)
- Experience with distributed frameworks such as Storm, Spark, Kafka or similar
- Experience with Agile process/tools (JIRA) and Test Driven Development
- Experience with automation in build process and code deployment (Jenkins/Docker/Kubernetes)
If you're excited by these challenges, passionate about community-driven development and have a flexible, creative approach to problem solving, we want to talk to you! Submit an application and learn more about Bloomberg Vault at bloomberg.com/vault.