Senior Software Engineer - Build Workflow
New York, NY
Posted Jun 21, 2018 - Requisition No. 67766
Bloomberg is the premier provider of real-time market data to the financial world. The Ticker Plant group is at the core of both the Bloomberg Professional Service and Enterprise Solutions products that process market data from around the globe. Our systems process over 80 billion events a day while servicing millions of client queries from our cutting edge time series database.
Our systems are low-latency, highly fault-tolerant and scalable. We provide reliable long-haul communication, storage, database-query and pub/sub forwarding of market data from stock- and commodity-exchanges around the world. We also develop Graphical User Interfaces and databases that let us dynamically configure the system. We work closely with business and sales teams to develop our systems and to be prepared for the next generation of customer requirements.
We have over 5,000 engineers relying on us to provide the core foundation and data required for over 20,000 applications and enterprise products and we're looking for an experienced release engineer to work with us to ensure the controlled release of our software. That's where you come in.
We'll trust you to:
- Create/update a disciplined release process, with tracking of versions, platforms, and product dependencies, and supportive of patch releases
- Perform software builds in a UNIX environment
- Create/update automated installation procedures
- Develop tools to improve build and release processes and procedures
- Deploy new versions of the software to multiple servers in conjunction with scheduled products releases, software defects fixing and hardware state.
You'll need to have:
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- 3+ years of experience in release and configuration management.
- Experience using git.
- Experience building targets in compiled languages especially C/C++ in a UNIX environment.
- 2+ years of experience with software build/construction tools namely scons and ability to quickly learn existing proprietary systems.
- 2+ years of experience troubleshooting build failures both at compiler/linker level and ability to communicate effectively to the programming team.
- 2+ years of experience with high-level scripted languages, especially Python and Perl.
- Experience implementing workflows for multiple parallel releases using branching, tagging, etc.
We'd love to see:
- 3+ years of source control concepts and workflows, source control administration, distributed version control, and the logistics of managing large code bases with many contributors.
- Experience with Unix platforms, especially Solaris, AIX, Linux.