Senior Software Engineer - Commodities Flow
New York, NY
Posted May 24, 2022 - Requisition No. 103899
The Commodities Flows team's mission is to provide our clients with insights into the flows of oil and other key commodities around the world. Generating these insights require us to process large amounts of shipping data in real time (vessel characteristics, location, ports, cargo, etc...) and we collaborate closely with market analysts and Bloomberg’s Global Data team to curate and analyse this data in order to generate the high-level aggregated information our users need.
To push our content to users, we use Bloomberg’s core data distribution infrastructure as well as our maps platform. We also design and maintain dedicated UIs to support workflows that are more specific to Oil & Shipping users, such as tools to search and visualize ship characteristics, total flows of Crude Oil between regions, or levels of Natural Gas storage.
To help internal analysts work with our data and encourage them to come up with ideas for new contents, models and prototypes, we make our datasets available on a rapidly growing data mesh built in collaboration with other commodities teams using technologies such as Trino and Open Metadata.
What’s in it for you:
- You will work on complex problems, from data modelling and software architecture to address ever evolving business requirements, to scaling performance and keeping with increasing data volumes
- You will gain deep market knowledge into Energy and Shipping, two of the most important and complex industries in today’s economy
- You will join a group which values developer experience and software quality, and get constant opportunities to improve our existing software and practices
We will trust you to:
- Take ownership of the full software development life cycle, from understanding the needs of the business through to coding, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Design and implement technical solutions with an eye to the future
- Use industry best practices for testing, automation, continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Proactively reach out and collaborate with other teams across Bloomberg to remove blockers and help better address our users’ needs
You will need to have:
- 4+ years of experience coding in Python, C++ or similar language on a production or customer-facing product coupled with a solid knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and all phases of software development
- Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills
- Passion for building high quality software
- Curiosity and willingness to learn about the Oil & Shipping industry
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We would love to see:
- Strong Python or C++ experience
- Experience working on Linux, and with Docker containers
- Experience defining and implementing software best practices in a team
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.