Senior Software Engineer - Communication Channels, Infrastructure & Reliability
New York, NY
Posted Jan 9, 2023 - Requisition No. 113262
Our data moves global financial markets – and conversations around that data are central to how markets are shaped. Our Community group builds the infrastructure responsible for delivering real-time communications between the 350k financial professionals on the Bloomberg Terminal. Our email (MSG) and instant message (IB) products deliver billions of messages across millions of chat rooms per day, including stock quotes, trade confirmations, breaking news alerts or help desk inquiries among others, forming one of the largest financial networks in the world and placing our team at the center of our universe! Our users rely on these products because of their real-time performance, extensive scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data and applications.
About the Infrastructure and Reliability Team:
Our users count on these products’ real-time performance, massive scale & reliability. Given the criticality of our products to the daily workflow of the financial community, and the scale at which they are used, our team is one of the most visible teams across Bloomberg. Our products are continuously evolving and have experienced more than 100% growth in usage over the last year, which means we must have very high standards for reliability, stability, and scalability, with a deep understanding of distributed systems.
What you’ll do:
- Define standards & maintain libraries for monitoring, logging, distributed tracing, alarming, and provisioning across 100+ developers.
- Build software to monitor the health of IB and MSG systems via black-box health testing frameworks and other approaches.
- Bring best practices and consistency to our infrastructure.
- Improve the resiliency of our infrastructure through stress tests and chaos engineering.
- Standardize our performance and capacity planning environment to ensure our systems have room to grow as we continue adding features and users.
What’s in it for you:
- A critical part of our mission is fostering a culture of reliability across Engineering teams in CC you’ll be able to make a significant impact on the design choices and decisions that go into developing MSG and IB infrastructure.
- This is an opportunity to forge your own path and drive the engineering culture forward; making our infrastructure best–in-class will be your main mission, so you’ll have many opportunities to create and implement your own improvements.
- You’ll be involved from design to deployment, to ensure our infrastructure is reliable, performant and scalable.
- We’ll send you to professional conferences and meetups to keep up with the technology space outside Bloomberg and apply that knowledge to building and improving our processes and products.
Our projects include:
- Building downstream and upstream caller reports to quickly identify bottlenecks and dependencies of our system using Apache Spark and distributed tracing infrastructure.
- Establishing standards and building dashboards, libraries and tools for metric collection, visualization, and alarming.
- Establishing procedures around scalability, failover, Service Level Objectives (SLOs), cluster provisioning, deployment strategies, etc. with the goal of improving the robustness of our infrastructure.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.).
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience.
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms.
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing large scale distributed systems.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
We’d love to see:
- Proficiency with big data technologies like Apache Spark, Amazon S3, Kafka.
- Exposure to observability tools such as Graphite, Splunk, Humio & Distributed Tracing.
- Exposure to containers and orchestration frameworks like Docker and Kubernetes.
- A track record of open-source contributions.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus