Senior Software Engineer - Distributed News Applications
New York, NY
Posted Apr 25, 2022 - Requisition No. 100414
The News Applications teams are looking for a strong and motivated software engineer who wants to work in a full stack environment to design highly scalable, low-latency systems and drive innovations in user experience and workflow integration.
News and Social media move financial markets, and the Bloomberg Terminal serves as a leader in this space. In addition to being the second largest producer of news in the world, Bloomberg ingests more than 1.5 million news stories and over 10 million social media posts per day from over 120,000 different sources. It is easy for clients to become overwhelmed and lost in the deluge of data. Our products help users efficiently search, monitor, analyze and consume news in the broader context of the financial market.
To do so, our team uses a variety of technologies and services to build systems and UIs on both desktop and mobile serving millions of client requests daily. The critical nature of news applications necessitates the design of concurrent, distributed systems that are highly scalable, low latency, and resilient. It requires close collaboration with business partners to build intuitive, informational, and flexible UIs that can adapt to the rapidly evolving news ecosystem and market demands. A successful engineer on the team should be willing to take on full ownership of essential, highly visible products. They should be excited by the challenge of fullstack development and working across domains to deliver quality, timely projects.
The News Applications teams are working on wide ranging features some of which include:
- Modernizing our story viewing and formatting service, a highly available service serving millions of daily requests, to adopt a microservices architecture
- Working closely with AI News to distill the growing volumes of stories to assist clients in finding signals in the noise, such as ESG sentiment
- Developing an application to chart news volumes and readership across time
- Creating a richer news sharing experience for our clients throughout the Terminal
- Incorporating a recommendation engine to help clients discover the most relevant news content based on their market focus, location etc
We'll trust you to:
- Design, implement, and maintain highly-distributed systems and applications.
- Explore new technologies and approaches, using the best tools for the job rather than what you know.
- Take ownership of projects and their life cycle, stewarding them from conception to shipping.
- Collaborate effectively across Product, UX, and Engineering to deliver concrete results.
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience in C++, Java, or Python
- Interest in full stack development and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- A solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- You have strong verbal and written communication skills
We'd love to see:
- Experience with distributed systems and message queues
- Proficiency in developing multi-threaded applications
- Experience with relational database design
- Familiarity with Linux or other UNIX systems
- Experience with continuous integration tools and workflows
What's in it for you?
- You will become part of an established team comprising a diverse mix of engineers, as well as dedicated Product, UI/UX representatives
- You will be contributing to and owning projects from day 1
- You will be working on applications that are critical to our clients’ use of the Terminal
- You will have plenty of opportunities to learn new things via thriving learning communities and meetup groups within the company
- Tight knit news community with a lot of fun events (virtual at the moment) such as weekly games/trivias, hackathons, group volunteering events and more.
If this sounds like you, apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, feel free to check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.