Senior Software Engineer - Engineering Planning & Reporting
New York, NY
Posted Jun 15, 2021 - Requisition No. 88689
WHAT DOES THE TEAM DO:
The Engineering Planning & Reporting team supports senior management, and is currently in the midst of a 2+ year evolution of our suite of functions to provide up to the moment views of investment and performance of our businesses across the entire firm. We are responsible for creating and improving systems used firm-wide that provide quality data efficiently, transparently, and on-demand to our most senior leaders at the firm to assist in investment decisions. Together with our business partners, the engineers develop dashboards and automated reporting synthesizing information on the performance of the firm’s businesses, ranging from investments in engineering to business results (e.g., feature adoption, sales, and revenue).
WHAT DOES THE TEAM LOOK LIKE:
Our small team size, coupled with the specific managerial style allows for a start-up feel – reps are entrepreneurial, collaborative across business and engineering peers, and want to brainstorm better ways to report (more efficient coding, more flexible coding for future iterations, more digestible front-end designs to promote self-sufficiency in usage). We are extremely team-oriented and have a vested interest in the product’s success, and in each other’s success. The functions we build serve every business across the firm. Our clients are plan stakeholders from Business Managers, to CFOs, to Salespeople to other Engineering partners and teams.
We are passionate about driving high impact by pushing technological boundaries and cultivating a culture of innovation and creativity. We focus on adopting, integrating with, and building tools necessary to drive the most efficient developer experience with a focus on high reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT TO DO:
In this role, you will have hands-on experience with reporting tools and functions used by the company’s top leaders. You will contribute to the rebuild of the Bloomberg Resource Planning tools, design and enhance full stack solutions.
You are a seasoned developer with strong technical skills and a consistent record of building innovative products. Your goal is to find and build the best solutions to stated problems by understanding customer needs and adoption requirements. Your collaborative ability to work with stakeholders, including engineering teams and business partners, will help move our products and processes forward.
The group’s primary stack is TS/JS front-end, .NET Core and Python microservices/daemons running on Bloomberg Cloud Computing middleware, and PostgreSQL / SOLR / SQL server backend. Our tech stack also includes additional technologies/standards such as Kafka, Rabbit MQ, GraphQL and more.
There will be opportunities to grow into leadership positions on this team for team members who are interested.
WE'LL TRUST YOU TO:
- Design & build the best solutions to help our leaders make better investment decisions
- Analyze business requirements and collaborate with stakeholders to come up with the most efficient and most meaningful workflows for end users
- Take ownership of projects while collaborating with business partners, using agile and a test driven approach
- Be able to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment requiring strong relationship management skills, subject matter expertise, strong professional judgment, flexibility, and a hands-on approach
- Be proactive, entrepreneurial, self-motivated, and a strong team player
- 2+ years of designing and building successful customer facing applications
- 4+ years of professional experience with C#
- 2+ years of professional experience with a relational database such as PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.
- Professional experience working in a Linux environment
- Excellent problem solving, collaboration, and communication skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Experience with front-end/UI development
- Experience with micro-services and distributed architecture
- Experience with continuous integration/deployment and automated testing
- Experience working in a cross-functional Agile team environment
- Familiarity with working with data aggregations, reporting tools is a plus (WorkDay, BERT, BPC, or other HR system)
YOU'LL NEED TO HAVE:
WE'D LOVE TO SEE:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.