Senior Software Engineer - Environmental, Social, & Governance (ESG) Team
New York, NY
Posted Sep 14, 2021 - Requisition No. 88952
ESG — environmental, social, and governance — refers to the three critical factors in evaluating the sustainability and associated potential financial performance of a company. ESG data is increasingly crucial for our clients – providing deeper intelligence than conventional financial analysis alone. Climate change, regulatory pressures, the importance of human capital, and diversity are just a few critical factors global investors consider to identify emerging risks and opportunities best. Hear Mike Bloomberg speak about ESG in the Bloomberg Impact report https://www.bloomberg.com/impact.
To address these challenges and pioneer the development of ESG products, Bloomberg started a brand new ESG Engineering team in 2019. As investor interest in ESG continues to increase, with the market for ESG data expected to swell to $2.54 billion by 2031, the team has a great opportunity to innovate and build a suite of products for our clients.
We develop highly reliable and automated big data pipelines to ingest billions of ESG data points using streaming technologies such as Kafka. As the datasets continue to evolve in breadth and complexity, we are constantly faced with challenges around data modeling, normalization and scale.
Clients across the globe interact with our data sets and analytics through a variety of full stack applications and APIs which are being developed by our team. We engineer low latency services using caching technologies such as Redis to integrate ESG data with numerous investor workflows such as Portfolio Management and Index creation.
Our team is also embarking on a new initiative to craft and architect a brand new technical system that will calculate proprietary quantitative ESG and numerous other scores providing complete transparency into our methodology and results.
Aside from this, a continuous challenge ahead of us is to revolutionize the discoverability and transparency of our rich data sets using modern technologies and frameworks such as Solr search and GraphQL.
What’s in it for you:
In this dynamic environment, our team is both collaborative and inclusive; you will help build a suite of products in close partnership with our quantitative research and product teams. As a senior engineer, this will be a growth opportunity to demonstrate your technical leadership to build modern solutions with end to end ownership of the product.
We hope that bringing Bloomberg's products and reputation to this space will push companies to improve how they treat the environment, their social spheres (workforce, stakeholders, consumers, nearby communities), and their governance. As more and more companies move in that direction, everyone will benefit, from their employees to their customers to the world at large. On our team, you can be responsible for that far-reaching change.
We’ll trust you to:
- Work with a variety of Bloomberg and open-source technologies, including Redis, Docker, Splunk, Pytest, Google Test, pylint, cmake, Jenkins, and any open source technologies that will help get the job done
- Provide technical leadership in a recently launched engineering team
- Collaborate with a wide array of stakeholders within Engineering and beyond
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of proven experience owning SDLC end to end
- Working Python proficiency
- Experience working with distributed systems and technologies
- Ability to partner with stakeholders to synthesize requirements and convey sophisticated technical ideas with simplicity
- Eagerness to work in an inclusive team, contribute to lively team culture, and stay open to new insights
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- A passion for making a positive difference in the world through technology
- Experience working within the Scrum model
- Experience working with Quantitative Analysts
- Eagerness for working with third-party/open-source technologies
- Experience with containerization and CI/CD solutions (e.g. Docker, Jenkins)
- Passion to lead, share new insights, drive processes and technology frameworks with the team
We know the confidence gap and imposter syndrome can get in the way of meeting spectacular candidates, so please don’t hesitate to apply — we’d love to hear from you.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.