Senior Software Engineer - Financial Data & Calcs
New York, NY
Posted Oct 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 108368
The Financial Data & Calcs department in Bloomberg is responsible for the storage, analysis, calculations, distribution, search, and screening of critical financial data. We absorb billions of data points from hundreds of financial markets every single day and build systems that fuel the markets by providing intelligent analytics and transparency to level the playing field. Our systems are high performance and designed to be distributed and scalable, to cater to the ever-increasing demand on financial data and analytics. The goal of the group is to add value to financial data and reduce the time it takes for Bloomberg clients to make an investment decision by analyzing the data, extracting, and aggregating relevant information, and to build platforms to make the enrichments available at scale to a variety of Bloomberg systems for client consumption. We share a passion for solving today’s problems by innovating for tomorrow!
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for writing high performance, efficient, and scalable code using proprietary and open source technologies to develop large-scale systems. You will get a chance to develop and enhance high throughput data systems, macro and micro analytic engines, search, calculations, and scalable systems that cater to billions of requests per day.
What’s in it for you:
- You’ll get opportunities to solve difficult large-scale problems that will help you grow your technical knowledge and skill set
- You’ll learn how some of the financial world’s most sophisticated professionals do their job and what role Bloomberg plays in it
- You’ll develop expertise in industry standard SDLC tools and processes and act as a champion for good software practices within your team
- You’ll establish relationships across Bloomberg by working closely with and learning from the specialists in our product development, data, and client support departments
- You’ll gain market knowledge in financial domains
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of experience:
- Knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and all phases of software development. This experience can be in any object-oriented language, but open to working with C++ and Python
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Experience in delivering production quality systems to clients
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We’d love to see:
- Financial domain knowledge and experience; or the willingness to learn
- Project leadership experience
- Working experience in an Agile environment
- Functional understanding of complex distributed systems architecture, high performance systems, scalable platforms, search databases, point-in-time historical data systems, macro and micro analytics, data query and manipulation languages, and time series analytics
- Familiarity with or working knowledge of Python, C++, Apache Solr, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Hbase, Kafka, Microservice Based Architecture
If this sounds like you, apply! We’ll get in touch if we believe you’re a good match and get started with a technical phone interview. Some of the different areas within Financial Data & Calcs that you can join include:
The Multi-Asset Data & Analytics group is responsible for data modeling and processing, high-performance distributed systems, data and analytics delivery at scale, and searchability. We store and analyze data that is critical for hedge funds, ETF and mutual fund management companies, financial analysts and advisors, money managers, shareholders, debtholders, and many other player types. We build systems to analyze market trends, classify, compare & contrast companies and investors, evaluate analyst predictions, and refine investment ideas. For example, our clients can see Wall Street analysts’ company performance predictions, investment details for institutions, individuals, and ETFs/funds, build an investment model from thousands of pertinent characteristics, and determine its quality by back testing and comparing results against historical benchmarks.
The Core Securities group provides analytics and data used by over 150,000 financial professionals including the front, middle, and back offices of major financial institutions. We manage the core dataset of Equities, Futures & Options, Currencies (including Cryptocurrencies), Corporate Actions, and Commodities instruments. Our data APIs and services handle over 100 billion requests daily.
The Company Data & Calcs group owns the company concept and data model at Bloomberg. We design pipelines, storage models, and APIs to provide clients with robust quantitative financial data used for analytics and research on companies. We focus on delivering a comprehensive suite of company data that ranges from historical financials to the future projections on the expected growth of various company business lines. We collaborate closely with other teams across Bloomberg to link, combine, and aggregate datasets related to companies. Our external and internal clients use our data and calculations to build applications and enterprise integrations that provide insight into understanding the story behind a company's value by identifying trends and studying metrics with transparency back to source documents. Our teams work together in a fast-paced and collaborative environment to deliver this highly visible and critical product.
The Macro Data, Calcs & Pricing group is responsible for the ingestion, curation, persistence, analysis, and distribution of economics, commodities, foreign exchange, and geospatial data. We are responsible for datasets such as weather, for which we receive one billion daily data points, power, geospatial data including cargo vessels, and economics data such as GDP and CPI (inflation) numbers. Our group is also responsible for pricing commodities and foreign exchange instruments. Our pricing engines are at the heart of Bloomberg and ensure performant and accurate pricing. We build and own low latency, high-throughput distributed systems that handle billions of data points daily.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus