Senior Software Engineer - Geospatial Workflows
New York, NY
Posted Aug 29, 2022 - Requisition No. 108035
The Content Generation department at Bloomberg builds high impact, innovative software applications and infrastructure responsible for publishing, integrating, and distributing content such as Market Alerts, Financial Data, and News. There is content generated both from Bloomberg as well as content ingested from outside sources (Premium wires, web content, Company reports, and Social Media).
We focus on our products being able to handle extremely high volumes while maintaining low latencies & high availability. In addition, we build core services that form the foundation of applications built by other software groups within Bloomberg.
Meet our team:
The Geospatial Workflows team is part of the Bloomberg Professional™ service used by over 300,000 business and finance professionals worldwide to make financial decisions. Our objective is to unlock market data and provide our clients with outstanding advantages. It spans a wide gamut of functionality, from visualizing financial data using graphing and mapping functionality to real-time data alerting to historical trend analysis, backtesting, geospatial analysis and much more. Bloomberg Professional™ provides an immensely popular platform for visual and quantitative analysis of data sets through a host of Bloomberg Applications, widgets and critical real-time services.
Outside of the visual space, we develop methodologies that enable our customers to estimate the geographical impact of various events on their physical assets and compute the resulting financial exposure. Our services cater to a broad spectrum of users with more than 100+ million daily views, and we're looking for new members to work on some of our most exciting and challenging projects. Our scalable backend services process multi-billion trading ticks and also provide computational support for our customers' trading ideas and strategies - all in real-time 24x7.
What do we do?
We are responsible for the design, development and improvement of the map portal application, embeddable map widget, its APIs, frameworks and backend services. Our goal is to integrate geospatial analysis into the daily workflow of all of our customers. Making the complex understandable, we bridge the gap between map browsing and getting actionable financial insight, turning geospatial research into a money making activity for our clients. From visualizing live market data in real-time to generating synthetic data and providing integration points with automated news and live alerts, we enable customers to take the next step after viewing the map into financial advantage. In doing so we build flexible workflows, UIs components, and map visualizations that allow our clients to combine different types of data to extract deep and novel insights.
We'll trust you to:
- Be a key contributor to Geospatial Workflows product development
- Design the next generation of and solutions that bring together and visually analyze all the types of geospatial data
- Use your technical expertise to architect and implement large scale application and frameworks
- Work collaboratively within the team and across groups to deliver products that broaden and improve our offering to customers
- Mentor others and contribute to the growth of the team
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Desire for continuous learning
We'd love to see:
- Passion for visual design and focus on user experience
- Good understanding of geography and geometry
- Understanding of GIS basics
- Experience in computer graphics
- Experience with Open Layers or other map rendering libraries
- Experience with high performance rendering applications
- Experience with C++ or Typescript development
- Experience working in an agile environment
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus