Senior Software Engineer - Insights Workflow
New York, NY
Posted Jun 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 86412
Insights are a groundbreaking new way for clients to approach their workflow in the terminal. Instead of memorizing many different mnemonics and functions, clients have the ability to surface related, and potentially hard to discover, content where and when they need it within their day-to-day workflow in many different platforms such as IB, Mobile, and Launchpad. Our clients can easily and swiftly dive further for more context to make critical financial decisions.
The Insights organization’s mission is to make discovering the breadth and depth of impactful financial data available easier and quicker for finance professionals. IPaaS (Insights Platform As A Service) offers suggestions (known as insights) based on the context of the client’s current workflow. An insight is a carefully crafted auto-generated short sentence. Similar to a well-written news headline, an insight communicates the bottom line without the need to read the whole story. Insights often come with clickable links, abstract text, and other metadata to provide even more information, analogous to reading the full body of a news story.
The Insights Workflows team creates and manages the architecture and tools responsible for Insight creation on IPaaS. The challenge with Insight creation is allowing other partnering ENG team maximum flexibility and control over the Insights they create while maintaining stability and efficiency of the Insights platform. Partnering ENG teams currently use YAML (configuration) and Python (business logic) to build their Insights on our platform, and we are extending this to enable other implementation approaches and avenues compatible with our platform.
We are seeking an engineer interested in evolving a platform created for use by other engineers. This will be done by expanding the platform using BPaaS, Devise and other Bloomberg offered solutions. The individual would also be heavily involved with collaborating with our 2 sister teams, working with business and partners to define both client and non-client facing features, and mentor individuals on the team or sister teams. IPaaS currently has 40+ types of microservices written primarily in C++ and Python installed on Full Managed Linux(FML) machines. Our team strongly believes in adhering to the best industry practices, innovating impactful solutions, and continuous deployment to PROD.
We’ll trust you to
- Collaborate within the team, with sister teams, with Insights Product, and with external stakeholders
- Take ownership of the technical direction
- Drive engineering best practices and quality within the team and sister teams
- Mentor individuals on the team and sister teams
- Identify bottlenecks and design strategies to address
You’ll need to have
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills (verbal & written)
- Strong ability to understand business requests and convert into technical deliverables
- Strong architecture and design skills
- Strong C++ and/or Python experience
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see
- Experience with DPKG, JaaS, and other DevX/SRE tooling
- Experience with Streaming technologies (BMS Kafka, BMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Experience working in an “Agile” environment (i.e. Scrum, Kanban, PI)
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Experience with Rapid
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.