Senior Software Engineer - Market Data Distribution
New York, NY
Posted Nov 2, 2021 - Requisition No. 97091
Who we are:
The Ticker Plant is the beating heart of our market data infrastructure that pumps more than 100 billion discrete events to downstream applications and users every single day. Ticker Plant’s mission is to aggregate, enrich and disseminate real time market data ranging from niche hand-priced venues to the trading centres of the global financial system. We make all this accessible with the stroke of a key via the user-facing Bloomberg Terminal as well as programmatically through our range of Enterprise solutions that form the backbone of today’s financial institutions.
If Ticker Plant is the heart of market data infrastructure, Market Data Distribution (MDD) is its circulatory system. Within Ticker Plant, the MDD team is responsible for the coordinated movement of the ticks that describe those 100 billion+ discrete events. Whether for inbound or outbound data, our challenges are largely the same: to provide a platform that can ingest and redistribute data reliably (without loss), resiliently (fault-tolerant), at scale (hundreds of hosts, billions of ticks), globally and regionally, and all in real-time with minimal latency.
Our team is organized into several parts corresponding to some of the different challenges and implementations for inbound versus outbound data:
- The Feeds Distribution Infrastructure (FDI) team is responsible for the movement of data inbound to Ticker Plant, whether in the data centers or regionally. FDI is also responsible for the environment on the Feeds machine that provides for monitoring the health of the feed handlers. Finally, FDI provides technology for publishers not on Feeds machines to publish data to Ticker Plant.
- The Configuration & Control team is responsible for the "control plane" that is used by our clients to manage the system, essentially describing where the data is supposed to go. The system then responds to those changes and reports on the activity and health of the distribution system.
- The TP Monitor & Scalability team is responsible for the outbound distribution of data from Ticker Plant -- what we call the Monitor -- as well as the technology that supports our inbound and outbound scaling.
- Finally, the Platform team is where our work for the future is going on. The business continues to evolve. The needs of our customers change. More computers are consuming our data, and they are more sensitive to imperfections in the continuity of our tick streams. We have more publishers, more consumers, and more ticks than ever and our ability to manage the system in the ways that we used to -- manually, in many cases -- is stretched to the limit. So, with the Platform team, and across all of our teams, we continue to invest in the future.
You’ll need to have:
- The ability to use abstractions
- 3+ years experience of programming in any object oriented language
- The ability to manage and push projects
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We would love to see:
- Experience with Python.
- Curiosity/interest in high volume, high availability distributed systems & their application to Market Data.
- Linux/Unix experience.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.