Senior Software Engineer - Media Data Science
New York, NY
Posted Sep 19, 2022 - Requisition No. 103075
Bloomberg Media supplies global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform. We have over 80 million unique visitors a month across every time zone! To meet the demands, our products require scalable and performant data services to deliver the best content and experiences to our users.
The Media Data Science team provides data services and ML applications for the media organization. We are responsible for utilizing TBs of click-stream data on Bloomberg's web and mobile applications to provide personalized news and ad recommendations to hundreds of millions of users. We use predictive analytics and user behavior modeling to drive the growth of the subscription business. We collaborate with other media teams to increase user engagement and revenue through machine learning and data-driven decision making.
What's in it for you
As a member of the team, you will work closely with a wide range of partners such as Product, Editorial, Ad Operations, Marketing, and other engineering teams. In collaboration with these teams, you will design and implement products and application features to optimize for key metrics such as content engagement, subscription conversions, and ad engagement.
We work collaboratively with our stakeholders to identify key business problems and areas of growth, so we can build innovative and data driven products/applications to solve them. We are looking for someone to build, maintain, and expand our suite of machine learning models and the features of real-time applications that leverage Kubernetes and AWS to provide other application teams the data needed to deliver engaging user experiences.
Additionally, as the owner of applications that deliver key data and insights to different teams in Bloomberg Media, you will have the opportunity to grow your network and collaborate cross-functionally with others across the organization.
We'll trust you to
- Architect, implement, expand, and maintain the features of real-time APIs
- Manage and expand multiple DR-compliant software architectures and stateful applications, adhering to strict requirements concerning performance, stability, and availability
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and deployment of Machine Learning and/or optimization models in production
- Prototype new approaches and production-ize solutions at scale for Bloomberg media’s hundreds of millions of users
- Collaborate with key business partners across product, editorial, and other engineers
You need to have
- 2+ years of experience working on highly concurrent, real-time, stateful, and distributed applications optimizing for low latency and high scalability
- 2+ years experience of Object Oriented Design and backend systems architecture
- 1+ years experience working with large data sets, performing data cleaning, pre-processing, and building ETL pipelines.
- Expertise in an Object Oriented Programming language, preferably Python and/ or Java
- Familiarity with big data systems and technologies such as Hadoop or Spark
- Experience leading projects from inception to large scale production deployments
- Experience in working with and evaluating open source technologies
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see
- Experience or a strong interest in Machine Learning, in fields such as Recommender Systems, Optimization Algorithms, Ad Click Prediction, Natural Language Processing
- Passion for working with large data sets to drive insights and value
- Passionate about using data to build elegant and intuitive user experiences
- Experience with public cloud platforms like AWS, GCP, and Azure
- Ability to adapt cutting edge systems to enterprise requirements including high availability and disaster recovery
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus