Senior Software Engineer - Media Streaming Platform
New York, NY
Posted Dec 29, 2022 - Requisition No. 112801
The Content Generation department at Bloomberg builds high impact, innovative software applications and infrastructure responsible for publishing, integrating, and distributing content such as Market Alerts, Financial Data, and News. There is content generated both from Bloomberg as well as content ingested from outside sources (Premium wires, web content, Company reports, and Social Media).
We focus on our products being able to handle extremely high volumes while maintaining low latencies & high availability. In addition, we build core services that form the foundation of applications built by other software groups within Bloomberg.
Media Streaming Platform Team specializes in providing live and on-demand media solutions for Bloomberg Professional Services and beyond. Our team builds comprehensive suite of media tools and services for end-to-end media workflows. We deliver market driven multimedia content to our customers with interactive user experience at industry leading low latency.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Senior Engineer to join our team and contribute to rapidly growing our rich set of media applications and services. Your main focus will be the development and deployment of audio/video features to extend our platform. This work demands knowledge of audio/video encoding, packaging and streaming, and close collaboration with multiple partners such as Product, UX design, VX, Network, and other engineering teams. There is a lot of opportunity to research, innovate and think outside the box. This is a phenomenal opportunity because of the visibility and impact of these client-facing applications.
- Integrate DRM protection with both of live and on-demand content
- Extend media streaming capability with cloud storage
- Improve the quality of media playback
- Research innovative ways to serve client requirements with real time media
What’s in it for you?
- Chance to innovate, build, and extend Media Products and Infrastructure
- You'll get to work on High Impact and Challenging problems in building media Infrastructure
- Opportunity to join a select few teams responsible for Multimedia and Real-Time Communication on the Bloomberg Terminal
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Java, Python, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Strong knowledge of media container formats (mp4, webm), codecs and streaming protocols (MSS, DASH, HLS)
- Prior experience using distributed streaming platforms such as Kafka
- Previous experience working with ffmpeg
We'd love to see:
- Experience with cloud storage
- Proficiency with DRM
- Prior contributions with open source toolkits like Bento4 and WebRTC
- Knowledge of real time streaming protocols like RTSP, RTMP, RTP and RTCP
- Proven coding ability with Python Django and nginx
- Any open source contributions
- Exposure to Mobile Media stack
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus