Senior Software Engineer - Message-Oriented Middleware
New York, NY
Posted May 29, 2019 - Requisition No. 75327
The Message-Oriented Middleware (MOM) team builds some of the most critical application frameworks at Bloomberg, used every day by thousands of engineers.
- BMQ (Bloomberg Message Queues) - a clustered queue based messaging solution for Bloomberg providing high performance and high-reliability. BMQ significantly outperforms popular open source MQ systems and is designed with high resiliency at the core.
- DMP (Data Mapping) - a high-performance pub/sub system for real-time data models, used by a large number of functions in the Bloomberg Terminal (instant messaging, market data, etc.).
- MBUS (Message Bus) - a very-high-performance, low-latency pub/sub system used by hundreds of server-side applications including many mission-critical systems. MBUS uses a combination of TCP, UDP and multicast (PGM) and scales up to millions of messages per second on a typical Linux box.
Together they form a software infrastructure designed for creating large-scale, fault-tolerant applications that run on thousands of machines throughout the world. With many clients depending on our infrastructure solutions, we are looking to grow the MOM team.
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience in C++
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Experience designing or working with complex distributed systems
- A deep understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Exposure to all phases of the software development life cycle
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Familiarity with networking
- Experience working with Linux/UNIX
- Familiarity with the nuances of building high volume, high availability distributed systems
- Knowledge of network protocols such as TCP/IP and multicast and various optimization techniques