Senior Software Engineer - Network Automation Platform
New York, NY
Posted Jan 6, 2023 - Requisition No. 113183
Bloomberg’s Network Engineering team architects, designs, builds, and automates the global network which supports Bloomberg’s products and services. Our network connects multiple large-scale Data Centers and over a hundred edge sites including Internet exchange points that connect Bloomberg to our hundreds of thousands of clients around the world and over 1,500 global exchanges and trading venues.
The Network Automation Platform team, part of Technology Infrastructure, is responsible for providing applications, frameworks and tooling that enable network engineer and operational teams to effectively manage one of the largest private networks through automation. We work with innovative network automation and configuration management technologies to treat infrastructure as code for the connecting and supporting the Bloomberg Professional and related services.
What's in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, highly scalable solutions that will power the future of how Bloomberg automates network infrastructure. You'll be trusted to define standards and design frameworks, libraries and tooling that build on automation best practices and principles. You'll work closely with outstanding infrastructure engineers to meet the field's most meaningful problems.
We'll trust you to:
- Actively contribute in defining both tools and architectural designs used by the team
- Encourage, mentor and train junior team members.
- Practice and promote the use of a modern software development lifecycle
- Engage with customers to capture and refine requirements
- Autonomously develop technical solutions to achieve objectives and required service levels, performance, and economics
- Proactively research and follow industry trends and open source projects in network automation
You need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Ruby, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- 3-7 years experience as a senior software engineer for a mission-critical production system
- Extensive knowledge in software testing and delivery
- The ability to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle them effectively to resolution
We'd love to see:
- Contributions to Open Source projects especially related to network automation and configuration management
- Knowledge in major Python frameworks like Django and Celery
- Knowledge of layer 2, 3 and 4 networking conceptsExperience with OpenConfig
- Experience using Ansible or equivalent in large scale networking environments
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
- Knowledge of Linux programming, networking and system administration
Our Open Source Commitment:
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you’ll be encouraged to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus