Senior Software Engineer - Network Automation Platform
New York, NY
Posted Feb 12, 2024 - Requisition No. 123129
The Network Automation Platform team, part of Technology Infrastructure, is responsible for providing applications, frameworks and tooling that enable network engineer and operational teams to effectively manage one of the largest private networks through modern automation. We work with innovative network automation and configuration management technologies to treat infrastructure as code for the connecting and supporting the Bloomberg Professional and related services.
What's in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, highly scalable solutions that will power the future of how Bloomberg automates network infrastructure. You'll be trusted to define standards and design frameworks, libraries and tooling that build on automation best practices and principles. You'll work closely with outstanding infrastructure engineers to meet the field's most meaningful problems.
We'll trust you to:
- Actively contribute in defining both tools and architectural designs used by the team
- Encourage, mentor and train junior team members.
- Practice and promote the use of a modern software development lifecycle
- Engage with customers to capture and refine requirements
- Autonomously develop technical solutions to achieve objectives and required service levels, performance, and economics
- Proactively research and follow industry trends and open source projects in network automation
You need to have:
- 5+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Ruby or equivalent)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Extensive knowledge in software testing and delivery
- The ability to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle them effectively to resolution
We'd love to see:
- Contributions to Open Source projects especially related to network automation, inventory and configuration management.
- Knowledge in major Python frameworks like Django, FastAPI and Celery
- Knowledge of layer 2, 3 and 4 networking concepts
- Experience with OpenConfig
- Experience using Ansible or equivalent in large scale networking environments
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
- Knowledge of Linux programming, networking and system administration
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus