Senior Software Engineer - Network Security Platform
New York, NY
Posted May 18, 2022 - Requisition No. 80264
The Network Security Platform team, part of Technology Infrastructure, is responsible for providing tools and infrastructure to enable network security engineers to secure one of the largest private networks in the world. We are a small, agile team of software developers who program mostly in python and are working on creating a completely new software stack to simplify how we manage our diverse and complex fleet of security devices and employ them to secure our networks.
What’s in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity for you to learn many of the sophisticated techniques used to secure very large (ISP-level) mission-critical networks. No network security experience is needed as you will also be working alongside and learning from network design and security experts and stakeholders. We are looking for experienced and talented software developers who are interested in solving complex problems surrounding analyzing and managing how our networks are secured. In this role you will be getting in on the ‘ground floor’ to completely revamp the systems used to manage our firewalls and other security devices.
We'll trust you to:
- Actively contribute in defining both tools and architectural designs used by the team
- Encourage, mentor and train junior team members.
- Practice and promote the use of a modern software development lifecycle
- Engage with customers to capture and refine requirements
- Be self-driven to research and follow industry trends, best practices, and open source projects in network automation
You need to have:
- 3-5 years experience as a senior software engineer; preferably full stack
- Expertise in software development in any language; Python is a plus
- Experience in writing maintainable and testable software, utilizing automated tests
- Experience in working with an agile team
- Be self-driven and take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle them effectively to resolution
- Willingness to learn about a new domain and independently engage with various stakeholders across the organization
We'd love to see:
- Systems and network troubleshooting capabilities such as packet captures, strace, traceroute, and latency analysis
- Knowledge of Linux programming, networking and system administration
- Familiarity with automation frameworks such as Ansible
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, Apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Our Open Source Commitment:
Bloomberg sits at the intersection of high availability, low latency, and large-scale computing. We have a decade-long track record of using open source software to build data infrastructure and applications that address the unique constraints of the finance industry. We also support a broad open source ecosystem to empower others to solve similar real-world problems. From technical governance to upstream collaboration, we are committed to enhancing the impact and sustainability of open source.
In this role, you’ll be encouraged to interact with global open source project teams and communities. If you have a desire to use, develop, and lead open source software projects, we encourage you to apply. To learn more about our activities in the open source community, head over to our Tech at Bloomberg site.