Senior Software Engineer - News Content Applications
New York, NY
Posted May 7, 2021 - Requisition No. 90640
The News Content Applications team is looking for a strong and motivated senior software engineer who wants to join a team of three to work in a full-stack environment.
One of the most critical features of the Bloomberg Terminal is our users’ ability to access news stories on desktop and mobile platforms. In addition to being the second-largest producer of news in the world, Bloomberg provides its customers with the ability to consume both Bloomberg and third-party content on Terminal and Mobile clients and devices. 130,000 customers read news stories more than a million times a day, and use their access to those stories to understand what moves the market and make business decisions.
To this end, our team uses a variety of technologies and services to build systems and user interfaces that provide media-rich news content to our clients. The critical nature of news applications necessitates the design of concurrent, distributed systems that are highly scalable, low latency, and resilient. It requires close collaboration with business partners to build intuitive, informational, and flexible user interfaces that can adapt to the rapidly evolving news ecosystem and market demands. A successful engineer on the team should be willing to take on full ownership of essential, highly visible products. They should be excited by the challenges of full-stack development and work across domains to deliver quality projects in a timely manner.
Besides News products like the News Story Reader or News Home, our team also owns parts of a variety of multimedia and lifestyle applications.
Each member of the team is responsible for:
Evaluating, designing and supporting complete systems end-to-end,
Ensuring our solutions are efficient both on desktop and mobile,
Exploring new technologies and methodologies, finding the best tools for the job rather than those with which we are most comfortable,
Collaborating with the product, UI/UX and other engineering teams to deliver effectively.
You need to have:
- Knowledge of data structures and understanding of algorithms
- You are pragmatic at solving challenges
- You have an interest in full-stack development
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant experience in a technology field
We’d love to see:
- Experience with large scale systems
- Experience with relational database design
- Familiarity with Linux or other UNIX systems
- Experience with continuous integrations tools and workflows
- Knowledge of open-sources projects such as Kafka, Redis, Cassandra
.- Web development experience
What's in it for you?
- You will become part of an established team comprising a diverse mix of engineers, as well as dedicated Product, UI/UX representatives
- You will be contributing to and owning projects from day 1
- You will be working on applications that are critical to our clients’ use of the Terminal
- You will have plenty of opportunities to learn new things via our Knowledge Sharing sessions or other groups within the company
- Cool (virtual, at the moment) team outings where teams in the whole Engineering News group compete in weekly games/trivias
If this sounds like you, apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, feel free to check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.