Senior Software Engineer - News Data Visualization
New York, NY
Posted Feb 5, 2024 - Requisition No. 123023
The Engineering News Data Visualization team builds and maintains tools that support all graphics publishing at Bloomberg. Our primary users are newsroom reporters and data journalists. We enable users to quickly and easily create charts and maps via our in-house apps and we provide the tools and infrastructure for the Newsroom Graphics desks in the US, Europe and Asia to create and publish interactive articles for Bloomberg News.
Our in-house chart and map-making tool is a powerful web app used by over 2,700 Bloomberg reporters and analysts all over the world who have produced over 700,000 charts and maps. It allows users to make a wide range of graphics like simple line and bar charts, complex scatterplots, multi-series charts, maps, and it even lets you import custom-made graphics.
Our team also works closely with the Graphics desk to help produce award-winning interactive visualizations for Bloomberg News. We provide templatized scaffolding for developers to quickly get started on their projects as well as a publishing workflow for editors. We build and maintain the entire infrastructure for deploying, hosting, and serving these interactive features.
Our team also helps build larger data visualization projects like the US live elections results, March Madness Brackets for a Cause, Bloomberg’s Guide to Electric Vehicles, Billionaires Index, and the yearly Best Business Schools Ranking.
What’s in it for you:
We are a full-stack web team which is constantly coming up with new and creative ways to improve our tools and enhance Bloomberg’s visualization capabilities. You’ll work closely with Newsroom stakeholders and other engineering teams.
We’ll trust you to:
- Leverage your graphics and data visualization experience to quickly resolve issues the Graphics Desk may face.
- Ramp up quickly and take ownership of the team’s systems.
- Maintain and support our team’s culture of open communication and collaboration.
- Push the boundaries and approach problems with innovative ideas and solutions.
We’d love to see:
- Extensive experience developing interactive graphics on the web.
- Strong experience working with distributed systems.
- Enthusiasm for improving SDLC processes and user workflows.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Functional expertise building microservices and REST services
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus