Senior Software Engineer - News Enrichment Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Jan 6, 2023 - Requisition No. 113165
Our goal is to make news content discoverable before our competitors, to help make the Bloomberg product indispensable to our clients. If you want to make a direct impact on users and work on distributed systems with high standards for timeliness, scalability and stability, this is the team for you.
The News Enrichment Team is responsible for the ingest pipeline that enriches News stories with additional metadata, such as Classification, Translations, and topic clustering just to name a few. We receive about 1 million documents across 20+ languages and process them on average in 100 milliseconds. In addition to the ingest pipeline, our team is responsible for 2 of the pipeline enrichment tasks: the classification and translations of news stories. Finally, we are also responsible for the “news taxonomy” which is an ontology of companies, people, currencies and news topics. This provides a common convention for the search/alerting systems to work with the enrichment systems.
What's in it for you:
- Work on problems of scale, latency and robustness. Our systems need to not only handle the unpredictable News stream, but demands of backfills, all the while being fault tolerant.
- Heavy collaboration with Business and Engineering teams, both internal and external vendors, to help bring solutions for our users.
- Be involved in the redesign of several of our core platforms for the demands of the future.
What you'll need to have:
- 4+ years experience working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- Exposure to C++ or an interest to learn C++
- Motivation to work on problems of scale and low latency distributed systems.
- Experience in data pipeline processing is preferred, but not required.
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
If this sounds like you, please apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps. We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus