Senior Software Engineer - Platform as a Service
New York, NY
Posted Sep 21, 2021 - Requisition No. 91932
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our applications are sophisticated and built using the latest technologies and require modern scalable infrastructure with a high degree of automation to run efficiently. Media Infrastructure is the team responsible for orchestrating and automating our infrastructure and operational workflows to allow us to scale our business. The team is the center of excellence for all things infrastructure within Bloomberg Media, and we collaborate closely with application development teams within Media and other infrastructure teams across Bloomberg.
What’s in it for you:
You will work closely with application development teams to understand the architecture of their applications and build automation to run these applications efficiently. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the team’s internal platform-as-a-service product that provides intuitive workflows and powerful automation for other developers. Your customers depend on the platform to develop and deploy their own applications, so you will have the opportunity to develop best practices, tools and processes to fundamentally change how we manage our infrastructure. We are in a hybrid cloud environment where applications run on either the public cloud or our internal cloud. You will also build and manage mission-critical infrastructure common to multiple application teams and be able to put your entrepreneurial hat on to find new ways to abstract complexity from your fellow developers.
We’ll trust you to:
- Develop on and expand our internal PaaS product used to manage and deploy hundreds of application deployments and dozens of clusters across private and public cloud.
- Engage with your customers (application teams) to understand and automate developer workflows.
- Build tools and processes to automate operational tasks allowing us to manage more applications with less effort.
- Work with your customers to help them migrate applications to the public cloud. Build abstractions that allow us to migrate and run these in a multi-cloud environment seamlessly.
- Own core infrastructure such as Kubernetes clusters, load balancers, Redis clusters and more which are used by multiple application teams. Automate day two operations as much as possible to reduce overall operational overhead.
You need to have:
- 3+ years of experience working on highly available, fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience with front end frameworks like React.js, Vue.js, etc
- Experience with ORM frameworks like ActiveRecord, Sequelize, etc
- Experience managing web applications operating at web scale
- A strong understanding of networking fundamentals including DNS, load balancing, proxies and firewalls
- A solid understanding of the modern software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes such as Continuous Integration and Delivery
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- 2+ years of experience managing web scale infrastructure using modern technologies and DevOps principles
- 2+ years of experience with public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, Google)
- 2+ years of experience with infrastructure automation tools such as Terraform, Bosh, Chef, Ansible or Capistrano
- Expertise in Kubernetes, both as a client as well as owner of the platform
- Expertise in analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Knowledge of network and application performance analysis using standard UNIX tools
- Experience with maintaining and managing a community around open source software
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.