Senior Software Engineer - Portfolio Analytics, Backend (FA - Financial Analytics)
New York, NY
Posted Apr 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 101311
What is PORT?
Bloomberg Portfolio Analytics (PORT) empowers the most prominent players in the financial world to manage their portfolios, assess exposures, and make decisions that move the markets. PORT provides industry-leading quantitative financial tools that enable investment professionals to:
- Understand factors impacting the returns of their portfolio over time
- Monitor intra-day market movements in real-time
- Estimate potential losses under extreme market conditions via stochastic risk analysis to generate new trading ideas
- Perform business intelligence-style analysis and evaluate investment strategies on curated data and sophisticated financial models.
What Challenges Do We Tackle?
Our global engineering team takes on challenges such as creating reliable and scalable frameworks for fetching terabytes of data and normalizing data-cubes in real-time, automatically validating billions of data points 24x7, providing an API to over two-hundred different applications across the Bloomberg ecosystem, and providing scalable data accessibility through modern data platforms. Our systems are based on distributed and multithreaded C++, Python and Java services, a sophisticated orchestration framework, and a rich mix of Bloomberg and open-source technologies including Apache Arrow, Apache Parquet, Cassandra, HBase, Spark, Hadoop, Redis, Amazon S3, kubernetes, Rabbit MQ, Jenkins and Pandas. As owners of critical systems, we monitor our infrastructure with Splunk, Grafana and Jupyter notebooks. Our team follows Agile and Scrum methodologies, and we are working on implementing a fully continuous integration and release process.
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to …
- work on critical distributed systems used by the largest enterprise clients in the world
- tackle complex scalability challenges at a system level: decrease processing times, increase system throughput, our stack handles billions of BAS requests with a negligible failure rate
- join a diverse community of engineers who build high quality products and value work-life balance
- collaborate with different teams across engineering
- learn about securities, derivatives, and portfolio analytics
- further your professional development in technical or leadership roles through unique mentoring opportunities
How can you contribute?
- Design, develop, test and release high-quality, low-latency, reliable solutions to tackle actual financial-industry challenges, taking ownership of the full development cycle
- Apply your analytical thinking to high performance distributed systems and real-time multithreaded services
- Perfect and grow our software infrastructure, exploring and evaluating new technologies both within and outside of Bloomberg to tackle our next scalability challenge
- Partner with product owners and other engineering teams to build solutions that solve complex problems
- Encourage and embrace working together as a team to foster diversity, mentoring and continuous learning, and practice knowledge-sharing.
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years of programming experience in C++, Java or Python
- In-depth analytical skills and strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or
- an equivalent combination of education, and/or
- specialized training, and/or
- related professional experience
This position requires at least one of the following:
We'd love to see:
- Experience in high performance distributed systems, handling of large data sets, and real-time multithreaded services
- Familiarity in open source technologies like Redis, Elasticsearch, Apache Spark, Apache Parquet, Apache Iceberg, Cassandra, Kafka, and Hadoop/HBase
- Interest in understanding our complex products and processes and have a passion for continually improving/optimizing software and procedures
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com