Senior Software Engineer - Real Time Communications
New York, NY
Posted Mar 4, 2022 - Requisition No. 101166
Bloomberg data moves global financial markets, and conversations around that data are central to how markets are shaped. Through the terminal, clients can connect with anyone in its expansive community. Now more than ever, clients expect communication to be enriched through real-time audio and video. The Real Time Communications team is made up of multimedia conferencing specialists entrusted with the mission to create platforms that enable interoperable, real-time multimedia communication across applications and environments and drive integration with Bloomberg's best-in-class financial products.
Our core responsibility is to continue scaling Bloomberg's real-time multimedia communication platform using the latest technologies and standards to meet the demands of scale, resiliency, compliance, and feature sets inherent in a fast growing industry. In addition, we will aim to continue integrating multimedia conferencing into the core suite of Bloomberg applications to make video and audio communication as ubiquitous and practical as traditional text-based communication. From the core platform, we will continue to grow our set of advanced media services into directions such as recording, speech to text, streaming, computer vision, or any other promising initiatives a motivated candidate can bring.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Senior Software Engineer to join our team to contribute to building out our real-time multimedia conferencing platform. Your main focus will be the development and deployment of client-facing features and functionality. This work demands close collaboration with multiple partners such as other application teams, Product, UX researchers, Network, and other engineering teams. There is an immense amount of opportunity for research, innovation, and creative thinking. This is a phenomenal opportunity for a motivated candidate due to the visibility and impact of this product, with a significant chance to make an impact in a still nascent industry.
- Develop and enhance real-time multimedia applications
- Design scalable, reliable, and maintainable backend services
- Research innovative ways to anticipate and address client needs in real-time media
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to innovate and contribute to building and extending real-time applications
- Chance to work on high impact, high visibility, and challenging problems in building multimedia conferencing
- Opportunity to be a part of a select few teams responsible for multimedia and real-time communication on the Bloomberg terminal
- Contribute to open source
You will need to have:
- Strong problem solving and design skills
- Experience working with WebRTC or similar video conferencing frameworks
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related technology field
We would love to see:
- Experience with media formats (MP4, WebM), codecs (VP8, VP9, Opus) and video conferencing protocols/standards
- Any open source contributions
If the description above sounds like something you would be passionate about, please apply!We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, feel free to check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.