Senior Software Engineer - Real-time Data Distribution
New York, NY
Posted Sep 16, 2022 - Requisition No. 83590
Who we are:
Bloomberg’s data underpins the world’s financial systems, and the Real-Time Distribution Platform (RDP) brings it to hundreds of thousands of Enterprise customers and Bloomberg Terminal users. We’re building the largest data distribution infrastructure in the world which delivers hundreds of billions of data points every day to our clients in real-time. Our clients rely on this information to be successful in their day-to-day trading, analytics, portfolio and risk management, and more. Given the scale, speed, and business critical nature of our product, we’re constantly focused on scalability, reliability and performance.
The Distribution team is responsible for building the middleware which connects Bloomberg with its customers. Whether the destination of the data published into our platform is a Bloomberg Terminal, Excel on a desktop, or a client application in a public cloud, the software that carries it is the same: Ours!
We deploy our proprietary middleware across thousands of servers in hundreds of countries and data centers around the world as the transport of Bloomberg’s consolidated Market Data feed which fans out hundreds of billions of data points a day to hundreds of thousands of clients. Our products are available on customer premise, Bloomberg hosted environment, and multiple cloud vendors such as AWS, Azure and GCP. For us, scalability, stability, and performance are paramount as even small changes in our software can result in significant effects over our entire fleet.
What’s in it for you:
- Join a group of engineers working on the backbone of Bloomberg’s data distribution system, functioning across every real-time product the company has to offer
- Construct a platform used by engineers across the financial services industry to publish and consume data between traditional data centers and public clouds
- Learn how to design and build complex distributed systems to solve challenging problems related to scale, resilience and performance. Get experience on Bloomberg private cloud and multiple public cloud environments.
- Work closely with product and other engineering teams in Bloomberg to deliver high impact products which are the new frontiers of Bloomberg’s business growth.
The technologies you’ll use:
- Languages: C++, Python
- Platforms: Linux, Windows
- Tools: Jenkins, Docker
You’ll need to have:
- BA, BS, MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- 3+ years of professional experience writing robust and maintainable applications or infrastructure in object-oriented programming languages
- Experience working in Linux and/or Windows environments
- A desire to work with high efficiency, highly available distributed systems
- A collaborative and enthusiastic attitude
- A bias for action
We’d love to see:
- Familiarity with high volume, high availability distributed systems
- Experience working with heavily multi-threaded software, with as little locking as possible
- Experience leading projects from ideation to delivery and mentoring engineers
- Experience with building message-oriented middleware, with emphasis on a publisher/subscriber model.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus