Senior Software Engineer - Research Events & Corporate Access
New York, NY
Posted Nov 7, 2022 - Requisition No. 111319
Imagine that you are interested in investing in a company using your favorite brokerage account. A critical part of your research will be to figure out how the company has been doing recently, as well as its near-term and longer-term future outlook. This information is usually shared with the wider investment community by the company’s executives via events called Earnings Calls. Investors, traders, and analysts dial in to these calls and pay close attention to what is said during them, so much so that you generally see material price movement leading up to, during, and leading off of the call. Earnings Calls are just one example of a future-looking event that can move a company; there are several other categories including Investor Days, Capital Market Days, etc. It is paramount that investors have seamless access to calendar data leading up to the event (i.e. when and what time these events are scheduled, how to dial in, etc.) as well as resources generated during and after the event (e.g. audio/text livestreams, transcripts, presentations, etc.) so that they may update and reconsider their current and potential investments. However, it is time-consuming and tedious to curate all this data into an easy-to-consume format for the large number of companies in their portfolios or watchlists.
This is where Bloomberg steps in to help our investment community out. The Bloomberg Events & Corporate Access team provides quick access to calendar and resource data for over 130k companies all across the globe. This data consists of 6M+ future-looking market-moving events across tens of key event categories that investors care about. Our direct-to-consumer product offering is used 60k+ times daily by over 20k clients, while our multi-channel data distribution infrastructure consistently serves up over 100M api requests per day. And we have significant plans to scale our product suite up to more and newer client groups, both in terms of the amount of data covered, as well as the breadth and depth of the reach of our data.
What we do:
In order to prepare for the upcoming product growth, we are embarking on a multi-pronged roadmap that involves overhauling our data ingestion and storage infrastructure to better handle larger volumes of data of different types; redesigning/rewriting our data distribution infrastructure and APIs to provide optimized and scalable access to the vast amount of data we maintain; and modernizing our front-end application stack by utilizing open source frameworks such as React, TypeScript, and Node.
We’ll trust you to:
- Develop and maintain new client facing features to keep our product competitive and also cater to the growing demands of our clients
- Work very closely with our clients and business representatives to seek requirements and implement creative solutions
- Collaborate and build effectively with our other core and application teams to develop these solutions
- Design, develop, and release high-quality maintainable systems and code
- Lead and contribute to projects that involve challenges in system performance, scalability, resilience, and data engineering
- Take ownership of products, solutions, and systems
- Drive and balance the incorporation of new technologies while improving development practices
- Mentor others by encouraging collaboration and knowledge sharing
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Passion for building robust, scalable, and maintainable applications and infrastructure
- Strong knowledge and experience with at least one (preferably SQL) database, including complex query building and performance analysis
- Prior contributions to system design and architecture and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Willingness and excitement to learn new things and work on a wide range of problems
- Experience with backend open source application frameworks (Apache Solr, Kafka, Redis, etc.)
- Experience with designing APIs
- Experience building and maintaining microservice architectures
- Track record of technical leadership
- Track record of improving the developer experience by promoting Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
- Track record of project management experience
- Experience in Data Engineering is a plus but not required
- Domain knowledge in Research Management Solutions
We’d love to see:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus