Senior Software Engineer - Search & Answer Applications
New York, NY
Posted Jan 9, 2023 - Requisition No. 113259
Our Market Applications group looks over the workflows and user experience of the Bloomberg Terminal for areas around foundation applications, macro markets and content workflows such as research, companies/ equities and data discovery.
We service applications that are used by financial analysts and researchers. Our core focus is document search and discoverability, content authoring, and publications that support the analyst workflow.
What we do:
Bloomberg is the largest repository of financial data and analytics in the world. Clients learn how to navigate the rich and complex web of Bloomberg data through years of exposure to numerous functions and workflows. Learning to harness the full wealth of information the Bloomberg Terminal provides is a daunting challenge to new and experienced users alike.
A critical aspect of Bloomberg’s growth lies in empowering our clients to effectively find answers to their questions. The mission of the Search and Answer Application team is to fundamentally transform the core Terminal experience into one where clients can directly ask questions and expect clear, relevant answers in a consistent, cross-platform presentation. We will work closely with partners across Bloomberg’s AI, Apps, and Infrastructure organizations to drive this crucial evolution.
Our team’s initial focus will center around the HL Best Answer system, which connects client-generated natural language queries to a collection of application services, understanding client questions and federating response formulation to the relevant application services. The first goal of our team will be to design and build a cross-platform framework to collate the responses from the application services to render on various endpoints like HL in terminal, mobile searches, and IB chats. We'll extend open source technology like adaptivecards.io to the Bloomberg environment and create a framework that enables application owners to concentrate on answering domain-specific questions without worrying about presentation. Longer term, we will extend the Best Answer framework to evolve the terminal’s navigation paradigm and improve search as a core part of client workflows.
As a member of the team, we will trust you to:
- Be comfortable participating in a highly visible product and contributing to the direction of core - Terminal workflows.
- Research open source software, and figure out how to extend it effectively in the Bloomberg application ecosystem.
- Productively collaborate with multiple stakeholder types (Engineering, Product, UX), from every business line.
- Work with us to build out the technical vision for the team, and how that should be informed by both the experience of Bloomberg terminal clients, as well as the internal engineering clients of our system.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, stakeholders and management
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
We'd love to see:
- Experience integrating open-source solutions with extra points for specific familiarity with the adaptive cards framework
- Firm foundation on middleware service technologies and microservice architectures
- Solid understanding of the HL Best Answer system and its inner workings
If you are interested in learning more. We’d love to hear from you!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus