Senior Software Engineer - Service Mesh Routing
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 104755
Bloomberg Application Services (BAS) is the core microservice framework powering the backend of virtually all Bloomberg products and services, responsible for reliably handling billions of dollars of transactions daily. The BAS network services over 5 million requests per second across thousands of applications and tens of thousands of machines on our global network. We provide a stable, fault-tolerant, scalable architecture with flexible routing rules and support for enterprise security and monitoring capabilities used for developing services by over 6,000 Bloomberg software engineers! We are a global group of software professionals composed of several teams based primarily out of NYC and London, each handling responsibility for different aspects of BAS software development.
You will be part of the BAS Router team passionate about the critical ‘BAS Router’ application, which helps process ~100 million requests/minute across 30K+ machines. The BAS Router facilitates request and response routing for Bloomberg’s micro-services, with additional features such as:
- Load balancing mechanisms
- Protective failure containment such that services cannot affect others or the network
- Service discovery which allows clients to automatically route to their services
- Flow control that protects both client applications and our infrastructure
We’ll trust you to:
- Have an eye for detail and a curiosity about working on the complex challenges of large-scale distributed systems
- Bring a strong understanding of working with highly multi-threaded and asynchronous programming environments
- Stay updated on new technologies, particularly in the realm of service meshes and cloud-native architectures
- Understand how to make changes to a live production system safely and responsibly, without causing any impact on the end user
- Communicate clearly and effectively and share our values toward software development and professional collaboration
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years of programming experience with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Java, Go, or C++)
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, multi-threading, and algorithms
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
We'd love to see:
- Experience working on large, sophisticated systems under continuous use
- Experience in multi-threading and networking
- Experience and/or curiosity about cloud architectures, Kubernetes, and service meshes
- Exposure to multiple phases of the software development life-cycle
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus