Senior Software Engineer - Surveillance
New York, NY
Posted Oct 14, 2021 - Requisition No. 92226
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
That’s where Bloomberg Vault comes in. Composed of Bloomberg Vault Archive and Bloomberg Surveillance, Bloomberg Vault provides a single platform for compliant storage and reconstruction of our customer’s communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data. More than 1,000 organizations use Bloomberg Vault to manage and archive their enterprise communications and collaboration data, including email, instant message (IM), mobile, files, trade and documents, voice data and social media. Our multi-tenant cloud processes 300 million messages daily and stores about 90 billion archived objects, and we are looking to grow significantly in the next two years.
Bloomberg’s Surveillance is a mission critical product used by key risk owners and compliance officers globally to meet the strict regulatory requirements in the financial world. At its core is a massively scalable policy engine capable of evaluating communications content and metadata in real-time and identifies interactions that would fall into questionable behavior on clients. It is supported by an ecosystem of high performance document search, analytics, and complex reporting features leveraging open source frameworks including Flink, Kafka, Solr, Spark, Cassandra, and Redis.
You will be part of a team of Software Engineers responsible for the Surveillance real-time policy engine and events searching/reporting platform. You will be responsible for scaling up the ecosystem of services, data processors, and frameworks in our current system to enable next generation preventative analytics (e.g. anti-money laundering, bribery, etc.) based on ML models and NLP with stringent industry SLA. To ensure compliance to our SLAs, you will set up automated scale testing and resiliency testing with randomized failure events
You’ll need to have:
- 7+ years of professional experience developing software systems with distributed architecture
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Sciences, related technical field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience developing in Java or Scala and fine tuning JVM to maximize performance
- Experience designing and implementing very large scale analytics, reporting, or ETL data pipelines at production grade
- Strong technical communication skills for broad range of engineering and product stakeholders
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We’d love to see:
- Domain knowledge in electronic communication platforms and data models
- Passion for leveraging and contributing to open source software development
- Experience with NoSQL storage e.g. Cassandra, HBase, Presto
- Experience with scalable data processing frameworks including Kafka, Spark, Flink, AirFlow
If you’re interested in the role, please apply!!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.