Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Compute Automation
New York, NY
Posted Jan 23, 2023 - Requisition No. 113194
A System Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Bloomberg is a software engineer who specializes in solving infrastructure and operations problems with software engineering solutions. They are trusted to improve the stability and availability of production environments through automation, telemetry, and product features. They are responsible for building systems that perform monitoring, orchestration, capacity management, deployment, incident management, and SDLC practices.
The Compute Automation team develops the systems that manage the life-cycle of hardware in Bloomberg's data centers. From automated stand-up and configuration of server racks, to handling decommissions and power monitoring, these systems are critical to building and maintaining a healthy data center environment. As a software engineer in Compute Automation you’ll solve challenging technology problems by building architecturally sound, scalable, and performant software that enables Bloomberg’s infrastructure ecosystem to remain at the leading edge of technology.
What’s in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to develop systems that build and maintain the foundations of Bloomberg’s technology stack. You’ll work with open-source tooling to develop applications and automation that have significant impact. You’ll be exposed to cutting edge technologies and practices, and will work closely with other engineering teams to accomplish shared initiatives that are critical to the health and sustainability of Bloomberg’s data center infrastructure.
We'll trust you to:
- Advise and execute on the design, architecture, and implementation of new software solutions.
- Play a critical role in improving existing products to ensure the quality, stability, and scalability of Bloomberg’s data center infrastructure.
- Work with a team to accomplish goals within an agile software development life-cycle.
You’ll need to have:
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Ruby, Go, or C/C++)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- A strong understanding of Unix or Linux
- Strong problem solving skills
- Proficiency in software engineering principles
We’d love to see:
- Experience developing and troubleshooting scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos).
- Working knowledge of Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment tools (Jenkins).
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus