Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Fixed Income Pricing
New York, NY
Posted Dec 7, 2020 - Requisition No. 87593
Who are we?
Bloomberg absorbs billions of data points from hundreds of financial markets every day. Our developers build applications that fuel the markets by providing intelligent analytics and transparency into these markets. Our customers rely on us to understand markets and analyse complex structures which allow them to make smart investment decisions.
Our product (BVAL) is the gold standard for pricing. It generates end-of-day prices for over 2 million fixed income securities. Our suite of applications also includes high-precision pricing algorithms, liquidity hubs for storing and retrieving pricing information, and big data analytics. You'll focus on building high performance, high throughput systems that use advanced statistical techniques to generate the fastest, most accurate pricing information out there.
The reliability, stability, and scalability of this platform is key to our success - and that’s where SREs come in the picture. We are starting a new SRE team within our org who can help us improve stability & reliability of our systems and make it more transparent by setting up monitoring tools.This is a great opportunity to come join us as we start our SRE journey and help us succeed. You will have the opportunity to make a positive mark immediately and continuously as you work closely with other engineers.
Who are you?
If you are passionate about understanding systems and their flaws and find creative ways to help improve the system, then you are in for exciting times ahead with us. You can dive into the detail of complex issues quickly, and you’re excited to harness the power of automation to manage the stability, availability, and scale of our incredibly complex technology infrastructure. You’re passionate about Site Reliability Engineering. You’re excited by the opportunity to help drive the SRE culture across our product and company.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use all your SRE experience to help setup SLOs and SLIs
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack
- Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Quickly grow in your technical knowledge of the technology stack – across all the systems – which lie at the centre of our production environment
- Collaborate with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solutions to their problems
- Be an enthusiastic agile practitioner, helping us to improve and refine our approach to ensure we deliver quality indices in a predictable manner
You’ll need to have:
- Experience working as an SRE for 3+ years
- Experience programming in one or more scripting languages (Python, Shell, or Bash)
- Experience working with any OO language - most of our stack is written in C++, but we’re open to other backgrounds as well
- Experience building monitoring systems and bringing transparency to running systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for daily interaction with engineering and operations stakeholders
- Exposure to all phases of the software development life-cycle
- The ability to identify opportunities for automation, and develop and test a solution
We'd love to see:
- A solid understanding of object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- Experience working on diverse and complex software systems
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.