Reliability Engineer - Indices (FA - Financial Analytics)
New York, NY
Posted Sep 13, 2022 - Requisition No. 96574
The Bloomberg Indices Reliability engineering team is an integral part of a rapidly growing index business within Bloomberg. We are responsible for the smooth operation of a diverse range of systems serving world leading benchmark and tradable index products. These indices underpin trillions of dollars of trades and assets under management, and hundreds of clients rely on them daily to inform critical business decisions. With this level of global impact, the reliability, stability, and scalability of this platform is key to our success. Our team is globally distributed across New York, London, and Asia, and we work together to ensure a consistent and seamless platform for our clients.
This is a great opportunity to join a team of reliability engineers on the journey to build, support, monitor, configure and scale our index production systems. As our systems grow, our team is responsible for ensuring that we have the tools and architecture in place to monitor and alarm when service levels are breached. Additionally, our team aims to automate processes and operations wherever possible to improve quality, consistency and scalability of our systems. Communication and collaboration are key for our team who interact with engineers, product managers and operations teams.
We are looking for engineers with an aptitude for analytical and creative problem solving. You can dive into the detail of complex issues quickly, and you’re excited to harness the power of automation to manage the stability, availability, and scale of our incredibly complex technology infrastructure. You’re passionate about reliability and automation, and don’t shy away from a challenge. You’re excited by the opportunity to help drive a culture of quality and reliability across our product and company.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of our systems
- Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Quickly and continuously grow in your technical knowledge
- Contribute to the team, whether pair programming or peer reviewing or collaborating with the engineering, product or operations teams to find the best solutions
- Be an enthusiastic agile practitioner, helping us improve and refine our approach to ensure we deliver quality indices in a predictable manner
You’ll need to have:
- Experience programming in one or more scripting languages such as Python
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for building out automation and tools along with engineering teams and other stakeholders
- The ability to identify opportunities for automation, and develop and test a solution
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
We'd love to see:
- Experience with Chef or other configuration tools
- A solid understanding of system design, data structures and algorithms
- Experience working on diverse and complex software systems
- Experience building monitoring systems and bringing transparency to running systems
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
Learn how Bloomberg bets big on our SREs: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
How we outsmart outages: bit.ly/SRE_BBG
Check out Bloomberg Engineering: www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we’re solving: TechAtBloomberg.com
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus