Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Kubernetes for Advanced Compute
New York, NY
Posted Jan 4, 2023 - Requisition No. 113096
We provide the infrastructure that supports core data services including Bloomberg’s data science and machine learning platform, search infrastructure, and various others. Our challenges span both software and hardware and the scale we work on is extensive.
Our team builds the systems that run our newest cutting edge platforms. We’re depended upon to lead the deployment, configuration, and operation of systems that power the data backend of Bloomberg. On our team, you’ll have the ability to truly innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of groundbreaking systems. Using containerization and Kubernetes on innovative hardware, including GPU's and DNN-specific hardware, we build systems that rival super-computing solutions across the world!
You’ll have the opportunity to make key technical decisions which help define the future of data and analytics infrastructure! You will apply your existing experience while gaining new experience in Kubernetes, containerization, GPU's, Data Science, and distributed database systems. All your solutions will drive new functionality within the Bloomberg Terminal and other client interfaces - direct drivers of financial decisions around the world!
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, build, and automate new solutions centered around the Kubernetes container orchestration platform and its ecosystem of projects
- Be responsible for solutions which maintain configuration and robustness of systems
- Analyze performance, metric placement and interpretation, and capacity planning
- Solve and debug runtime issues with software and hardware
- OS and hardware level optimizations
- Interact with platform developers to understand and validate their workflows, requirements, application performance, and application resilience
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years of programming experience with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Go, Java, or Ruby)
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years systems configuration and automation experience (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack -- error handling, idempotency, configuration management)
- 2+ years Linux systems experience (Ubuntu/Debian experience preferred, ideally conversant in Unix networking and C system calls)
- A strong familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment methodologies, chat-ops, etc.
- Proven experience building and scaling out critically important, elastic, load distributed, and high throughput systems
We’d love to see:
- Experience with networking (e.g. packet analysis, routing protocols).
- Open source experience (a well curated blog, upstream accepted contribution or community presence)
- Private and public cloud experience (OpenStack, AWS, GCP)
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of Open Source Software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing within Kubernetes and its ecosystem. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences/meetups or collaborating with industry leaders, open source will be at the heart of this new team. It's not just something we do in our free time - it is how we work.
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus