Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Security Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted Nov 10, 2022 - Requisition No. 111101
The Security Infrastructure SRE Team is essential for our ability to manage and scale security systems which support this scale at Bloomberg. We are responsible for a broad set of systems that are important to our ability to secure the enterprise and protect our client data The solutions managed by this team cover a broad range of use cases and are built in collaboration with various partners. To operate at scale, the push is to make provisioning of security infrastructure seamless and repeatable using infrastructure-as-code patterns and using various automation techniques.
The team strives to quantify confidence in the systems they maintain and ability to perform as expected. Through detailed monitoring and telemetry collection, the team can use past performance to predicate and understand future reliability. The team assumes nothing of the systems that they manage unless they are explicitly tested building further confidence in the systems they operate.
We’ll trust you to:
- Apply your experience as an SRE to mentor the team to reinforce SRE concepts and standard methodologies.
- Engineer solutions to monitor the health, availability, and capacity of our environment and software using industry standard tools and practices.
- Assist in architecting large-scale secure solutions for our teams’ products.
- Define, measure, and achieve service level objectives as appropriate for the systems the team manages.
- Use your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack.
- Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability.
- Collaborate with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solutions to their problems.
- Using programmatic techniques thoroughly test all infrastructure and systems managed by the team to ensure that they work as expected.
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years of programming experience with an object-oriented programming language (Python, Go, or C++).
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent work experience.
- Experience using configuration and orchestration software such as Chef, Ansible or SaltStack.
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization.
- Experience at the linux command line, including system-level debugging and networking.
- Experience managing large scale infrastructure projects using DevOps/SRE practices.
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a high-pressure, critically important, and exciting team environment.
We'll love to see:
- Experience with Security monitoring tools such as osquery.
- Experience in building CI/CD toolchains with tools such as Jenkins, Github, and Artifactory.
- Deep understanding of metrics and monitoring ecosystem i.e. grafana, humio, distributed trace.
- Deep expertise fixing complex distributed systems.
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks.
- Experience with using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt to fully build and manage complex infrastructure at scale.
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking.
- Linux kernel level debugging and eBPF experience.
- Knowledge of Linux or Windows internals.
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience aligns best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus