Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Splunk Architect
New York, NY
Posted Feb 9, 2024 - Requisition No. 123121
Who we are:
A System Reliability Engineer (SRE) at Bloomberg is a software engineer who specializes in solving infrastructure and operations problems with software engineering solutions. They are trusted to improve the stability and availability of production environments through telemetry, product features, and automation. They are responsible for building systems that perform monitoring, orchestration, capacity management, deployment, incident management, and SDLC practices. These systems consist of both internally developed software in various programming languages, Open Source software, AND third party software like Splunk and Crowdstrike LogScale (Humio).
We are the SRE team for the Bloomberg Engineering Telemetry organization. In addition to us, the organization consists of multiple application and infrastructure development teams. As an organization, we are the official central source of telemetry data and services used by Bloomberg engineering and operations.
As the Telemetry SRE team, we work with our sister teams to develop the software and solutions to discover, collect, enrich, store, present, and alarm on Telemetry data in the form of log, metric, and trace data from all Bloomberg devices and applications. The insight and observability we provide is crucial for the stability and reliability of the services Bloomberg provides for our customers globally.
What’s in it for you:
As a member of a Telemetry SRE team, you will be responsible for Bloomberg's Splunk Deployment. This involves:
- Splunk Environment Assessment: Evaluate existing Splunk deployments to identify areas of improvement, including data ingestion, indexing, search performance, storage utilization, and overall system health. Perform in-depth analysis and capture relevant metrics to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of the Splunk environment
- Performance Optimization: Analyze and optimize the search queries, data models, and indexing strategies to improve search performance and reduce response times. Fine-tune Splunk configurations and parameters to improve resource utilization and minimize bottlenecks
- Dashboard and Report Optimization: Evaluate existing dashboards, reports, and visualizations to enhance their usability, relevance, and performance. - Collaborate with stakeholders to understand their reporting requirements and provide recommendations for improved data visualization and user experience
- Capacity Planning and Scalability: Assess current resource utilization and provide recommendations for scaling the Splunk infrastructure to accommodate future data growth. Analyze system capacity and design appropriate scaling strategies, including clustering, load balancing, and high availability configurations
- Documentation and Reporting: Prepare detailed reports and documentation summarizing the findings of the Splunk review and optimization process. - Provide clear and concise recommendations for improvements, including step-by-step instructions and standard processes
- System and User Support: Participate in on-call rotations
- 4+ years working with an object-oriented programming language (C/C++, Python, Java, etc.)
- A Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- Proven experience (8-12 Years) in Splunk administration, optimization, and performance tuning in enterprise-level environments
- Proven experience troubleshooting and working with Splunk Support to debug problems/outages in enterprise-level environments
- Deep understanding of Splunk architecture, configuration, and best practices for data ingestion, indexing, search, and storage
- Solid understanding of Splunk search processing language (SPL) and experience in optimizing complex search queries
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Chef, and python are a plus
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus