Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Terminal Transport
New York, NY
Posted Oct 11, 2022 - Requisition No. 102245
Who are we?
We are a new and growing team charged with enhancing the reliability and operational excellence of the core backend of the terminal. Our software is the central point for customer session state and is responsible for dispatching and orchestrating messages throughout the rest of the Bloomberg ecosystem. We process over 250 billion messages per day through our software stack. The Terminal Transport SRE team focuses on the following areas:
- Automating away operational toil to reduce risk in our production systems and improve our Median Time To Resolution.
- Improving the observability and reliability of our systems
- Enhancing performance and scalability of our infrastructure services
- Capacity planning to support future growth
Projects for 2021 include the following:
- enhancements to our global stress testing system to identify service bottlenecks
- improving the workload management of our production function execution system
- developing stress tests to verify the performance characteristics of our modernized function execution system
- improving the scalability speed of one of our message dispatching systems.
This is a great opportunity to come join us as we start our SRE journey and help us succeed. You will have the opportunity to make a positive mark immediately and continuously as you work closely with other engineers. You will work closely with the Terminal Transport team to deliver improvements to critical software.
Who are you?
We are looking for a highly collaborative and curious individual. You should be excited about the opportunity to have a large impact on some of Bloomberg’s most critical infrastructure. You should want to do the right thing rather than the easy thing. You will help develop the team’s SRE best practices.
We’ll trust you to:
- Improve the operational environment to make it more automated, reliable, understandable, and documented.
- Measure metrics in SLIs and compare the SLIs with goal SLOs.
- Optimize the Time To Resolution for problems that occur in production.
- Develop code and tests with a constant focus on performance and reliability.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience working as a software engineer or SRE for 3+ years
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- A solid foundation in data structures and algorithms
- Experience with high performance distributed systems
- Experience working with C++ and/or Python. Our software stack is primarily in C++. But if you don’t know C++ already, we’ll teach you.
- Deep understanding of metrics and monitoring ecosystem i.e. grafana, humio, distributed trace
We would like to see:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus