Senior Software Engineer- BAS Infrastructure
New York, NY
Posted May 24, 2021 - Requisition No. 90966
BAS is the stable, fault-tolerant, scalable microservice framework used by over 6,000 Bloomberg software engineers as the foundation of their applications.
We follow industry-wide best practices including continuous integration/release/deployment, in-depth code reviews, static analysis, consensus-based decision making, engineering discipline, and top notch standards for source code.
We also have a strong culture of mentorship, professional growth, and inclusive communication within the team. The BAS team is additionally a great way to get plugged into many of Bloomberg's collaborative efforts, as we're heavily involved in the C++ Guild (an internal meetup group), ISO C++ Standardization, and C++ conferences. We also have a lot of exposure to many other infrastructure teams across Bloomberg and numerous open-source projects used at all levels of our software development and deployment stack.
The BAS Infrastructure Team focuses on building tools and frameworks to help the BAS team and all Bloomberg developers produce and deploy reliable software by writing code and managing systems which are used for:
- Improving our development processes for software build and testing (unit/regression/performance), using a combination of open-source and proprietary frameworks and technologies
- Building our Continuous Integration system, based on open-source tools, which provides an extensive suite of automated verification tests for development builds and release workflows
- Building our automated Continuous Deployment framework for the BAS applications supporting multiple operating systems and cloud-based environments, as well as providing software SDK packages for other teams to write software using the BAS framework
- Building analytics and observability frameworks, for tracking the performance and health of the BAS services at the individual machine level and overall health across entire clusters/stages of deployment
We are looking for disciplined engineers with an eye for detail to help with some or all of the above!
You'll need to have:
- 3+ years programming in C++
- 3+ years programming in Python
- An understanding of object-oriented design, data structures, and algorithms
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience working with large, complex systems under continuous use
- Experience with build and test frameworks, such as cmake, ninja, GTest
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems such as Jenkins
- Experience working with Linux/UNIX and/or Windows system administration and programming
- Experience with system management and container technologies, such as Docker, Kubernetes, chef, salt
- Interest in engineering disciplines such as migrations, planning, post-mortem
- Ability to critically assess and plan software changes and roll-outs
- Exposure to multiple phases of the software development life-cycle
analysis, and system design
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.