Senior Software Engineer- Derivatives (Functional Programming)
New York, NY
Posted Jan 10, 2024 - Requisition No. 122536
As a financial data, news, and analytics market leader, Bloomberg continuously invests in its technology to keep delivering the best data and analytics to support the global derivatives market. To this end, Bloomberg’s Derivatives Engineering team is responsible for owning the full life-cycle of services and applications for pricing derivatives. We build systems and products that enable clients to generate trade ideas, structure deals, connect to electronic trading platforms and capture market movements.
We sit at the intersection of finance and technology, working directly with product managers, financial engineers, and quantitative analysts to understand client and market needs. These foundational systems get billions of hits per day and provide data and analytics to many of Bloomberg’s flagship products.
If you’re interested, see the following links for more about the Bloomberg Derivatives team.
What’s in it for you?
- Be part of a passionate, growing community of talented software engineers within an environment where innovation is not only embraced, but encouraged
- Gain experience applying functional programming to real production financial systems
- Use OCaml to develop applications for instrument definition, payoff scripting, derivatives life-cycling and valuation
- Implement microservices and component-based designs
- Opportunity to learn some of the financial domain that's at the core of the extensive derivative functionality
- Help shape the strategy for growth of OCaml at Bloomberg by contributing to the various OCaml infrastructure projects across the company
We’ll trust you to:
- Employ functional programming in building new cutting-edge systems and improving existing ones wherever possible
- Work hand-in-hand with industry-expert product owners, financial engineers and quantitative researchers to build applications and frameworks
- Take leadership of technical solutions, implementation and rollout to users
- Champion new technologies, advocate for the latest developments and best practices in the open source community, challenge the status quo and inspire others to improve their craft.
- Represent Bloomberg in conferences and the wider functional programming community
- Embrace teamwork and peer review of designs and code
You'll need to have:
- 4+ years working with a functional language (OCaml, Haskell, Scala etc.)
- An understanding of the benefits of composition; search for sum types in any language you write; and dearly miss pattern matching where you don't have it
- Functional expertise in building microservices; contributing to system design and architecture; and scaling fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, similar field of study or equivalent work experience
- An understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Honest approach to problem-solving, and ability to collaborate with peers, partners and management
We'd love to see:
- Interest in the financial domain and passion for solving large scale challenging problems in the financial industry
- Contributions to the open source community
- Interest in mentoring and sharing knowledge with other team members
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg provides reasonable adjustment/accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment/accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable adjustment/accommodation include but are not limited to making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email AMER_recruit@bloomberg.net (Americas), EMEA_recruit@bloomberg.net (Europe, the Middle East and Africa), or APAC_recruit@bloomberg.net (Asia-Pacific), based on the region you are submitting an application for.
The referenced salary range is based on the Company's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level.We offer one of the most comprehensive and generous benefits plans available and offer a range of total rewards that may include merit increases, incentive compensation [Exempt roles only], paid holidays, paid time off, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability benefits, 401(k) +match, life insurance, and various wellness programs, among others. The Company does not provide benefits directly to contingent workers/contractors and interns.
Salary Range: 160,000 - 240,000 USD Annually + Benefits + Bonus