Senior Software Engineer- News Analytics Application
New York, NY
Posted May 13, 2020 - Requisition No. 82972
News and social media move financial markets. Bloomberg is not only one of the largest producers of news in the world; it also aggregates feeds from around 100,000 different sources. On any given day, Bloomberg will process around one million news stories and over ten million posts from social media.
The News Analytics Applications team is responsible for building solutions to aggregate news to aid in trend discovery. We seek to distill the growing volumes of stories to assist clients to find the signal in the noise. We are seeking software engineers with the desire to own full stack products and who can thrive in a team environment.
What we are working on:
- Development of an application to chart historical news volumes across time. Team members will be expected to bring ideas and contribute to guiding the evolution of the product.
- Development of an OLAP system to search the news stories most read by our clients.
- Extend news trends dashboard to support more trading signals, like ESG sentiment, and asset classes beyond equities. The system for aggregating data needs to be generalized to make it easier to incorporate new data sources.
- Development of a UI widget to display summarized news across various applications on the Bloomberg Terminal.
- Design of a social media monitor to manage and consume social media news flows. Project entailed building an ingest pipeline to feed the content in real-time and an application to view said content.
We'll trust you to:
- Design, implement, and maintain highly-distributed systems and applications.
- Explore new technologies and approaches, using the best tools for the job rather than what you know.
- Take ownership of projects and their life cycle, stewarding them from conception to shipping.
- Collaborate effectively across product, UX, and engineering to deliver concrete results.
You'll need to have:
- 2+ years of experience in C++
- Interest in full stack development and an aptitude for analytical problem solving
- Excellent communication skills
- A solid understanding of data structures and algorithms
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience with distributed systems
- Proficiency in developing multi-threaded applications
- Experience with relational database design
- Familiarity with Linux or other UNIX systems
- Experience with continuous integration tools and workflows
If this sounds like you, please don’t hesitate to apply! We’ll get in touch if we believe you’re a good match and get started with a technical phone interview.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.